Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not Booting Into Dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjaykay

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
GB
I have a toshiba tectra 510cdt laptop, which has been running Win nt4, I have deleted & reformated the hard drive in order to reload win98 se but I can't get it to boot from 98 start up disk in the floppy drive, it won't even give me a dos prompt to work with, just a flashing cursor line in the left corner. If I use a Win 95 boot disk I get a system prompt, but I do not have Cd Support from this prompt, So am unable to go any further. Can anyone give me a step by step to try and get this sorted Cheers.
Jay Jay

You have to get rid of your ntfs partition .

Delpart.exe From NT 3.51, this utility can delete extended NTFS, Lilo, and just about any other type of partition .
DELPART is a DOS based utility that will remove NTFS partitions from hard drives. FDISK is unable to remove some types of NTFS partitions.
DELPART can wipe clean a hard drive, then you can use FDISK to create partitions normally.

If 95 boot disk is working and 98 is not, I'd suggest creating a new 98 boot disk (floppy may be damaged or just not compatible with drive). Get one from if you haven't got access to a win98 machine (otherwise, just go to add/remove programs in control panel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back