Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not an object file message

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollypac

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
I am running a program (basic2.prg) which opens and closes alot of tables. It will run if I only use 17 tables when I add the 18th one I get this messsage - basic2.fxp is not an object file. Any ideas why I am getting this message and how get it to run using more than 17 tables?

Hi RolyPac,
There does not seem to be a limit of 16 tables in Visual FoxPro (which version are you using?) I presume there is something wrong with your coding and or the last table you try to open. I suggest (for testing) to change your coding, move the obsolete table to a higher position and if foxpro keeps offending suggest you post your coding.
Regards,
Jockey

Jockey,

Code:
There does not seem to be a limit of 16 tables in Visual FoxPro

Not true. The 16-table limit applied to the early versions of Foxbase. In all versions of Foxpro, it is substantially more. The current limit is 65,535.

In any case, the message "Not an object file" suggest some sort of corruption in the FXP. My first reaction would be to recompile it.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

The 16-table limit applied to the early versions of Foxbase

I don't have FoxBase to hand but my FoxPlus Help says:

A workarea may be SELECTed by specifying the workarea number (1 through 10) or letter (A through J).

But that's a red herring. I agree with you that there's probably something up with the fxp and rollypac should just delete it and try again.

Geoff Franklin

The limit pre-VFP was 25, though I have a vague memory of it being different if you were using the extended version.

Tamar

I think it was 25 for the standard version and 225 for the extended.

Tamar

Hello Rollypac.
What version of Fox are you running? I dont think the error has to do with the number of tables opened, but somehow the program is not getting recompiled after changes. Delete the .Fxp and recompile the program after your changes i.e. increasing tables from 17 to 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back