Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not all computers are shown by Network Neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2002
MY
Environment:
Windows NT server 4.0, PDC. All clients (about 250 PCs) are running Windows NT Workstation 4.0. One domain exist : MYTHOL. All Workstation are having the domain MYTHOL.

Problem :
I browse network neighbourhood :
Network Neighbourhood -> Entire Network -> Microsoft Windows Network -> MYTHOL
I cannot see all the 250 Workstation Names. Some workstations are not listed in the list. When I tried to manually do a Find Computer of those missing names, I could see the names listed at the result of the Find:computer and would be able to access the shared folder in the computer.

Why the computers names do not appear in network neighbourhood but would be revealed by searching them via Find:computer ? Those PCs are powered on and there is no network problem.

Thanks

Try instlling NetBEUI on those machines that do not show up. It may add more traffic to your network. Most of the time if there is no WINS server on a network and the PC does not have netBEUI installed, the PC had no way to broadcast to the network it is there. TCP/IP does not allow for this broadcast I believe. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

make sure that you turn off the browser service on client machines and non domain controller servers a machine on your network may think that it's the master browser and some machines may be listed in that servers list

You shouldn't have to install NetBEUI - if you are running some databases, you WILL experience a slowdown in your network traffic.

What are your client machines that aren't showing on the network? What's the OS? What protocols are they running? Do they have File and Print sharing turned on? -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

I didn't notice whether or not you had any BDCs. You really should have at least one. You can set up WINS on the BDC quite easily. Then make all 250 workstations WINS clients and that should solve your problem. It will make browsing for network resources much easier.

I have two NT servers, a PDC and a BDC, in one domain. Before, my PDC had one LAN card and it could see other computers in the network but after I installed another LAN card, no computer icon is displayed in Network Neighborhood nor I can access other computer. My PDC has 172.16.110.243 and 172.16.110.244 IP addresses and my BDC has 172.16.110.246. From PDC, I can ping other computers and vice versa, from other computer i can ping my PDC. Another thing, if i boot my PDC with only one LAN card plugged in, everthing gets back to normal i.e. my PDC can access other computers. Please advise.

Your PDC has 2 network cards both connected to the same LAN, why? This could be the cause of your problem. Normally you would only use 2 cards if you wanted to do one of the following:-

Set up a network team or connect to 2 IP networks

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back