Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to update data using linked server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaidyanathanpc

Programmer
Nov 30, 2001
IN
Hi,
I am working on the database DB1 and have created a linked server to a database DB2. I have the login and password to access the remote server. The user has access to insert, update and delete data on the remote server. When i connect to the linked server and try to update an existing row I get the following error. What could be the problem??

Server: Msg 7306, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Could not open table '"PWALLET"."DBO"."PW_TBL_REDEEMPOINTS"' from OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB'. The provider could not support a row lookup position. The provider indicates that conflicts occurred with other properties or requirements.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.]

The SQL I'm trying to execute is

UPDATE DB2.remoteuser.DBO.tablename
SET column1 = column1 + 200,
UPDATED_DATE = GETDATE()
WHERE colume2 = 2181

Please help.
Regards,
P.C. Vaidyanathan

I think you have have got your identifier mixed up.

Your identifier should be built like this

server.database.owner_name.object_name

I think your DB2 should be in second place as I gather that is the database name.

Good Luck,

Let us know

Rosko

Sorry!!! Please read the update stmt as

UPDATE remoteservername.DB2.DBO.tablename
SET column1 = column1 + 200,
UPDATED_DATE = GETDATE()
WHERE colume2 = 2181

Sorry for the confusion...
Also in the error msg please read "pwallet" as DB2 and "pw_tbl_redeempoints" as the remote tablename.

P.C. Vaidyanathan

Perhaps you should watch out for case-sensitivity.

If that does'nt solve it let us know if they are both SQL servers.

Rosko

There is no issue with case sensitivity. Both the servers are SQl Server 7.0 versions.

Is your remote server name by any change beginning with a number?

Show me the line in the sysservers table for this particular linked server, perhaps this can shed a light.

Rosko

i have the same sort of problem trying to update a linked oracle server. i get the following error message:

Server: Msg 7357, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not process object 'update wixjda.wrk_piv_sales_ctl set RECORD_COUNT = 1'. The OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' indicates that the object has no columns.

Although, i can do updates if i link to the same table through MS Access, it asks for a unique record identifier when you select the table and then lets you update fine.

Please help... [thumbsup2]

Ok
But give me the line from yor master..sysservers table

Maybe this can provide me with some info
Rosko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back