Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to see printers on Virtual Machine (windows 95)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunlop1975

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2007
CA
I am really new (as in 1 day experience now) to using VMware but had an old windows 95 legacy system dumped in my lap that needed to be virtualized (vendor has not existed in 15 years)

I created the VM and managed to get it online and seeing the CD drive of the host PC. The problem is I do not see any printers even though the icon on the VM Player window shows that the printers are connected. And Muphy's Law is that printing is crucial to this system

I've exhausted my google-fu. I found a post with a similar issue and I followed the same steps:

- remove VM tools from guest OS
- ensure that config file contains :serial0.present = "TRUE",serial0.fileType = "thinprint"
- re-install VM Tools (needed to install VMWare Worstation 9.02 trial in order to do this)

I get no errors and as mentioned and still nothing for printers

I have network printers a USB and added one to LPT1 on the host PC to be sure

Any help or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated

I found a solution (although not the ideal one)

In the end I found an OLD third party software that allowed me to add a LPR port to the guest OS (It had not ports whatsoever for a printer to connect to previously). I then downloaded the printer drivers (thankfully there was a windows 95 version) and connected with the LPR port.

AS I said not the solution I was hoping for but I can put this project to bed now ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back