Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to redirect output to a file when used with GET

Status
Not open for further replies.

E3p0

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
I am trying to get my output to generate a file, but I am only getting the output on screen, and a 0kb file created. I can use '>' just fine say for a plain old ls -l > list.txt, but I am trying to use it with a GET if it makes a difference. Here is my syntax: GET /local/apps/prod/apps/print/bthompso/ar250p2/1/AR250.prt&_DMD=CSVFMT > 1.csv

Any ideas of where I am going wrong?

Never be afraid to ask for help!

I'm not that familiar with "get". Are you just trying to pull specific data out of a file and store it in 1.csv? get is lower case too... B-)

Yes the program that roes this command is not creating the file, and was told to use the GET in another case to create a pdf when the app refused.It is a capitol GET not lower case. I can see the info scroll across my screen and a 1.csv file is created but it has 0 bytes.

If it is capturing data then you may need to append to the 1.csv file because it may be getting over written. Try >> instead of >.

Nope I had tried that before, and just tried it again and have the same result

Yes solaris 7

Nope still same thing.

What program are you using GET from? Its not a native Solaris command.

Oops, my bad, the native Solaris get command is in /usr/ccs/bin.

Reading the man page, it certainly doesn't look like it will do what you want it to.

I have used it to retrieve a file and have a pdf file created in the past when a program we used would time out and not display the pdf. This may not be the same [get] as it is a GET that I am using which is the output I see in my web access log. Application issued command? The original full string is:"GET /cgi-lawson/la_webrpt.exe?_DTGT=&_FN=/local/apps/prod/apps/print/bthompso/ar250p2/1/AR250.prt&_DMD=CSVFMT HTTP/1.1" 200 8423

Try the GET command without the >filename.txt. This looks like an HTTP GET command to me. How are you connecting to the web server? Via telnet?

The web server is the same server in this instance. Not using the > seems to defeat the purpose. I am trying to get the output to create a file. But trying it without the > just caused the same reaction (info scrolls over screen) it just didn't leave me a 0 byte file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back