Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not able to detect my mouse in Windows '98..I'm going crazy!!! HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sml160

Technical User
Jun 17, 2002
US
hello all...i am really going crazy here...my computer refuses to detect my mouse. I have a serial port mouse and have intalled it myself and each time the computer gives me a code 24 telling me it might not be working properly...i also get the infamous yellow exclamation point in device manager each time it is installed...

i went to msd.exe and checked out the mouse. for some reason it says it is using irq 12...yet when i go back to device manager and check that out irq 12 is not in use according to the computer...i am really baffled on this one and really need someone's help...

how can i get it to irq 4 (where it belongs i think?)
can i manually change it? is this even the problem at all?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you!

You may not have the comport set in the bios. Since I don't know what kind of computer you have I will suggest to get into the setup you should press one of the following keys before the starting windows splash screen comes up:

Delete key
f1
f2
f10

Look for COM1 under one of the menu items. You should be able to change com1 to 3F8 address and irq 4.

Good Luck and let us know if it works or if you find a work around. ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

i checked into this and com 1 is using the 3f8 address already...any other suggestions would be greatly apppreciated...thanks!

Do you have a modem installed, and is the modem using com1, if yes than you can do one of these things. [ol][li]Install the modem to com2, and delete com1, than install mouse, the mouse should than install to com1 making sure com1 is inabled in your bios.[/li][li]get a ps/2 mouse[/li][li]or start computer in safe mode and check the device manager to see how many devices are installed under each sub-heading.[/li][/ol] "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Hello sml160:

I want to be sure I understand your situation exactly. What you seem to be saying is that you just installed a serial port(not ps/2)mouse which your pc doesn't recognize.

Was a different mouse installed before to the same serial port? If so, did this previous mouse work with no problems?

Does the mouse that you're having trouble with come with a mouse driver cd or floppy?

Are you able now to navigate to Device Driver by any input device or keyboard?

this is the same mouse that i've had since i've owned the computer...it is a serial port mouse...nothing new has been installed on the computer...it has worked for two years fine and then one day when i booted it up it said there was no mouse and said it was using irq 12...strange, strange problem that continues to be mystery...

Hello again sml160:

From the info you've given, one possibility would be a corrupt mouse driver. Navigate to Device Manager>Mouse and click the plus sign. Highlight what drops down, click remove and confirm removal. Close out of Device Manager. Reboot and see if your system corrects the problem.

i've tried that but it hasn't worked...the mouse still does not get recognized...i even removed other devices in device manager hoping that my computer would "switch up" the irq's but nothing...it continues to not recognize he mouse and uses irq...i don't even have a ps/2 port on the computer. still very confused abou this one but appreciate all your efforts...keep the ideas coming!

Have you tried attaching another mouse to the port???? Is it possible the serial port is bad??? ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Hello again sml160:

OK, so your pc has no ps/2 ports. Does it have any USB ports?

Have you run sfc.exe to see if any Windows files have been damaged?

it did install a serial port when windows booted up after i uninstalled a few things to re-arrange the com ports...my computer has no usb ports and i haven't run sfc.exe yet but i will get right on that...

i really appreciate all the support you guys are giving me on this so keep the ideas coming...i know eventually we'll figure this thing out...thanks!!!

Did you solve your problem yet? I am also having the same problem. I have a windows 95 machine upgraded to win 98se.
The serial mouse only works if I reload the drivers, everytime I boot up, it will stop working and will not recognize the driver is the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back