Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not a registered Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayfever

Technical User
Oct 12, 2001
FR
Certain servers that were previously being backed up are now returning with the error "not a registered client" and I get an unsuccessful save set. Where do I go to register it? The backup is run from a Unix server but they are Windows 2000 servers. I can ping the unix servers and vice versa. Other servers are simply getting connection refused.
X-)

Shayfever,
When was the last time these servers were being backedup correctly? What changes were then made to either the NW clients or the NW Unix Server? Usually you get not a registered client when the clients name doesn't matche what is defined in the hosts file for the Server, or the name doesn't match the alias names defined for the client.

Unfortunately pinging the servers helps little. It lets you know that you have network connectivity (good thing), but NW communicates via DNS and RPC's so the naming is usually what gets you into to trouble. Pls advs, and I will try to assist.
- Larry

Most likely an IP/naming issue. Try using Hosts files with both short name, full name and make sure you have the alias field correct in the client setup. verify it by running rpcinfo -p servername.

It turns out that the hosts file had been changed. I am now able to bakup some of the servers but others are still reporting a different error simply "connection refused" and it times out.

For the boxes with connection refused msg. Try stopping the remote exec service on the client and then look at the rservers file in nsr\res make sure your server name is still there if not replace it, save it, then restart the remote exec service. Open either NW user or admin from the client to verify that you can connect. - Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back