Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Not a recognized terminal type

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrews

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
US
I am encountering a problem that is proving to be hard to resolve.

if I do the following:

export TERM=xterm (or =aixterm)
vi some.file

all works as expected. However, if I do this

export TERM=vt100
vi some.file

I get this error:

ex: 0602-108 vt100 is not a recognized terminal type.
[Press return to continue]

and vi is essentially unusable. This does, however work on another system without issue. I have searched around the web and the only "solution" I am finding it to put "export TERM=vt100" in my .profile - but that doesnt solve the problem. Any ideas on what else I should be looking at?

Add a little color to your PUTTY terminal: faq52-6627

You don't say what shell you're using so try
Code:
# TERM=vt100
# export TERM

I misread your post, but the vt100 and vt220 are manufactured by DEC. Make sure you have the bos.terminfo.dec.data fileset.

After doing some more digging, I see that while I do have some VT terminal definitions in /usr/share/lib/terminfo/v/ (lots of VT term defs here), some of the term types the users were trying to use are missing - like vt100, vt220... not sure if they were ever there or not.

I was able to provide them with a list of the VT definitions that are in place and they have been able to set the TERM env. variable and vi successfully with one of the other VT term types - ie vt200.

Add a little color to your PUTTY terminal: faq52-6627

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back