Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortons Antivirus on Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

deebeetoo

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
CA
I upgraded from Win98 SE to Win XP Prof Edition.
It asked me to disable or uninstall Nortons Antivirus (Ver 4.0 for Win95/NT) before I could proceed. When I disabled it still gave a repsonse saying it cannot proceed and i should disable or uninstall. So I uninstalled.

Now when i try to re-install fron the Norton CD...
Win95 option says not compatible with current XP system.
WinNT option crashed.

Any suggesstions??

Supposivly only NAV 2002 works under XP. I haven't tried 2001 to see if that works. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer (but learning Java)

"Kernel Panic has performed an Illegal Operation, so I must defrag the situation before Dr. Watson reads the logs and discovers a lost cluster."

Only NAV2002 will work with XP, all other versions crash out. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

...and DON'T use the latest version of McAfee. It will delete your email from Outlook Express. Mike Wills

"Kernel Panic has performed an Illegal Operation, so I must defrag the situation before Dr. Watson reads the logs and discovers a lost cluster."

I knew there had to be a reason why it came free with XP. ;-) Mike Wills

Agree with Comtech on McAfee, ditto Norton... it seems to have conflicts with every known piece of software.

We use it at work here, and I don't think we have ever had a problem. But the could be the difference between a corporate and a personal version of McAfee. Anyway, I guess, I will have to go without a virus scanner then. And no need to lecture me about virus scanners, I know about it. Mike Wills

I have used Trend PC-cillin for several years with good results, currently using it on Win 98SE and Win XP Pro RC2. Its not free but the automatic update feature is excellent and the licence is for the life of the program, not just 1 year like a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back