Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Security Threat - real or bogus

Status
Not open for further replies.

floydman80

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2001
US
Every time I boot my PC I get a Security Alert from Norton as follows
“Norton Internet Worm Protection has detected and blocked an intrusion attempt
Security rule: Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse”
Date:
Time:
Path C:\windows\explorer.exe
Filename: Windows Explorer
Direction: Inbound
Local Address: All local network adapters
Local Port: gives me a port on my machine]
Protocol: TCP
Then I get two options I can click OK or I can click on a box that says "Don't show an alert for this threat again"

I click OK, because the other option sounds ridiculous - who wouldn't want to know a real attempt!

Environment:

WXP SP1,
Norton Antivirus 11.0.9.16
DSL modem disconnected
Linksys Wireless Router – always on

So real threat or bad programming??

Thanks
Floyd

from the Web:
From the Philadelphia Enquirer:

Things learned along the way. Much to my chagrin, Norton Internet Security recently took to sounding continuous alarms that my computer was infected with the Netspy Trojan horse.

Turned out that the warning was coming up because Windows XP's Fax, which I had just used, raises false alarms in Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall about the presence of a Trojan horse.

So if you use Fax service, you should configure Norton to stop treating it as a threat.

Doing so, Symantec says, won't stop Personal Firewall or Internet Security from alerting you if a real Trojan horse appears at your gates.

The procedure for quelling Norton's Netspy alarm is outlined in an online article. It is named Rule Default Block Netspy Trojan Horse Matched, but applies to the Windows Fax problem.

On the Web

(Use Netspy Trojan horse as a search term.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back