Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Scan freezes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbiro

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
My Norton Scan was freezing up and I tried fixing the problem by doing this:

1) I went to the Symantec site and it suggested I download their Klez, and digital file to check to see if the Klez virus was possibly causing it. I use Windows XP, so I turned restore OFF as they requested, went to the MS-prompt, ran the Symantec file I downloaded and let it roll. Results: the virus was not found on my computer.

2) Deleted my Temporary Internet Files and ran a scan in Safe Mode.

Bottom line: My scan still freezes up, although it DOES NOT always freeze up in the same file or program so I can't say that's it.

I just purchased through the Symantec site the upgrade to Norton Antivirus 2003. What else could be causing this?
By the way, at start-up, my Norton icon has an "X" through it, so Norton is not working at the boot start-up. Thanks for any help.

Hey Barbiro, I believe I am having the same problem as you. Did you figure it out yet. Any scan of my computer, including ad-aware and norton 2002 and i've tried mcaffee too. Online scans also freeze my computer. I had the handy virus from kazaa but norton said it deleted it. how can I fix this?

I suggest a simple uninstall of Norton Antivirus, reinstall it, download the latest updates. Then do a scan in safe mode, make sure all exclusions have been removed in Options>Manual Scan.

Matt J.

Did you click on that window marked "other". It comes after you first install the downloaded AV 2003.

Norton AV 2003 kept freezing on my every time I tried to open it. I'd get a window that gave me the option of "continue using shareware" "other" and "exit or continue." Who would have thought that you had to click on "other" to enter the product id code given you when you download. Talk about intuitive.

Now Norton on freezes once a week for some inexplicable reason or the other. But it does let me open up the options window before doing so.

I hear that Norton is the best there is for anti virus protextion. Judging from the quality of the code foisted on the public with Norton AV 2003, it is no wonder the Internet is in dire trouble and facing extinction because no one can control the hackers.

I'd love to know what to use instead of Norton. With no customer support, I can't keep their product. But the alternatives are all worse.

When I scan my computer, it freezes. NAV2002, mcaffee, several online scans, ad-aware all freeze at some point during their scan. I am forced to hit the power button and reboot.

Scandisk works properly and my computer does not freeze on any other occasion. Had W32.hllp.Handy virus, however, removing it was easy and I'm not sure that it's a virus.

Can u help. (check out earlier post from 6/29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back