Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Personal Firewall issues on Windows ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwtr

MIS
Oct 13, 2003
US
I just installed Norton's Personal Firewall on my HP Pavillion that has Windows ME. The computer has been working just fine until I installed the firewall software. Now I get various errors on my computer. The one major issue is when I dial up into the internet ( all I am in is AOL), I get error messages stating "We're sorry....You have reached the open window limit. Please close some open windows before proceeding". Problem is I don't have any windows open to close. When this occurs I can't open any internet sites. I have to basically reboot the pc to get the issue resolved.

Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this???? I know I need firewall protection so I want to keep the software on the machine. I just don't know what to do to fix this matter.

Your firewall is blocking all ports to the internet. Check your firewall settings. Sounds like they are set to high.
Just set it to where each program has got to ask to go to the internet.
If that does not work try a restore from a point before where you installed the firewall. You can get Zone Alarm firewall for free it is good or sygate it is also very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back