Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Internet Security 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwheale

Programmer
Jun 11, 2004
GB
Hi guys,

I’ve just tried to install a new copy of Norton Internet Security 2004 on a mate’s machine and it crashes Windows (XP Home – SP1). The installation goes fine (Apart from it never prompted me for an activation key… Hmm?) But when I restart after prompting Windows freezes on the XP load screen? The only way I can resolve the issue is buy hitting F8 and ‘loading the last know good configuration’ and uninstalling the software from there to get Windows back to normal.

I know loads of people use this software, so is that anyone out there that has had this problem or can offer me any advice? Failing that I suppose I better drop a line to Symantec?

Cheers,

SW.

I personally had that and other issues with that software, after which, I now categorically refuse to ever use it again!
Give that to and unexperienced user and you can even lock yourself out completely!
Try it on a test pc, add a user that does not exist yet to the 'admins only' list. Then create that user .. you're dead..
My advice, IMHO, dump it.
Symantec will just tell you to re-install XP, try them..

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

The reason why it never asks you for the Activation Key is because when you uninstall Nortons it never truely uninstalls everything. There are usually files and folders left over along with quite a few registry entries. The sloppy uninstaller of Nortons is usually a prime suspect of alot of Norton problems. I suggest to uninstall Nortons then run this tool and choose Uninstall Nortons 2004 to remove the traces of its left over contents.
I hope this helps
Art

As far as I know there is no removal tool for the Symantec 2004/5 products. If there is I sure would like a link, asn I've had numerous clients with all kinds of problems with these products. Symantec has a six page manual removal process on their website, which doesn't even work. I agree with amen1973 and have stopped selling and recommending these products.

Thanks, bcastner, but I've been through all those steps before and have not been able to get it to work.

Get into the registry (BACKUP) and get rid of everything where the word Norton, Symantec, NAV, CCxx shows.
Lots of work to get rid of the piece of ....

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
How Do You Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions?
[/sub]
See faq222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back