Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juliann95

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
US
We just upgraded some of the computers in our office from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. Upon doing this we lost Norton Antivirus 8.0. I have tried reinstalling 7.6, 8.0 and 8.1 and none will work. We have uninstalled all versions of Norton to try the reinstall and still nothing. i've tried using the CD and tried over the server? does anyone have any idea on how i can get this to work. with all these wonderful virus's i dont want to be stuck in any difficult situations(we already have 2 viruses floating around the building that we are trying to keep a handle on)
Any help would be appreciated!

Thank
Julie

Julie,

There is a possibility that your machine is infected so therefore it will not install the Norton. Some viruses actually block the installation of AV products, and kill them if they are already installed. You may want to try a remote scan of the system using Trend Micro's House Call or the equivelent from Symantec.

If you are scanning a server, you may have to run the program from a workstation PC and map a network drives to the server's drives. Be careful though with your Exchange Server folders because an improper AV product can render your Exchange Server useless by deleting logs, etc. Check with the AV company first before attempting this, and be sure that you have a known good back up of your server prior to attempting this.

Good luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back