Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoLucky

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
US
The company I work for just purchased Norton Ghost 8.0 corporate.
We want to be able to creat images over the network.
I know that the client computer has to have a partition (either virtual or boot).
How to I make a ghost boot partition?
We are upgrading to Windows XP and I thought this would be a goos time to start this process.

Not sure if you found the answer for this or not. Take a look at this article on the Ghost Web Site:

The easiest way to do this is to do the install from the Ghost cd onto the new master that you have just completed.
Hope that this clears up this issue for you. The documentation from Symantec sure is difficult to get a straight answer from !!
This is an excert from the article above and should answer your question.. (How to install the Ghost 8.0 Client - Document ID:2003121709413025)

Install from the Ghost CD
This method requires that you visit each client computer where you want to install the Client. Use this method when you cannot use the Remote Client Install procedure and you do not want to roll out a cloning Task yet to the client computer. That is, you do not yet want to replace the contents of the disk with a new image.

To perform a client installation from the Ghost installation CD

1. Start the computer into Windows.
2. Insert the Ghost installation CD.
3. Wait for the Installation menu to appear.
4. Select Install Symantec Ghost 8.0 Corporate Edition.
5. On the second menu, select Symantec Ghost Managed Client.
6. When prompted for the Ghost Console computer name, type in the computer name for the Ghost server computer.

Note: If you proceed without entering in a computer name, the installation will proceed normally, however, a problem might occur when you have more than one Ghost server computer on the same network.
The client computer might be "matched" to the wrong Ghost server computer. If this happens, the Ghost server computer cannot roll out an image to that client computer. You will see the message "polling for bound server" and the Ghost client computer will not connect to the Ghost console computer.
For more information on this issue, read the document Error: "You did not specify the machine name..." during installation.
To resolve this, the Pubkey.crt file needs to be replaced. To replace the file, read the document How to Replace the PUBKEY.CRT File.
7. Continue with the installation procedure.

Have Fun...
Mikeee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back