Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost 15.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

fj80alex

Technical User
Apr 20, 2008
US
Hi - I never worked with Norton Ghost before. I have Lenovo ThinkPad T410 laptop and the only thing that I would like to do is to upgrade 160GB drive to 320GB. I don't have an original DVD. Original 160GB drive has a recovery partition. Windows 7 Pro is installed, plus Office 2010 Professional. Since I don't have a product key, I would like to create an image of my original drive and load it onto new 320GB drive using Ghost 15.0. Like I said,it would nice to see some instructions how to properly perform this upgrade. I do have a Norton Ghost 15 already installed.

Thank you in advance,
Alex

[link ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/15/manuals/ngh_15_user_guide.pdf]Link[/url] here is a pdf of the user guide. but that isn't what ghost was designed for, it's for backups, you want a disk clone utility. but you will need an external sata to usb case/adapter, or the internal ultrabay hdd adapter for the lenovo.

Step 1: Get new hard drive
Step 2: Get USB to SATA adapter Link You could have bought this (cheaper) and I have used it - works
Step 3: Download manual and start reading at page 197 Link

You basically attach new hard drive via usb adapter and tell Ghost to "ghost" from source (original HDD) to destination (new HDD).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Beat me to the punch - site crash.

Norton Ghost for as long as I can remember has always had a clone feature. In Ghost 15, it's called "Copy My Hard Drive" which is explained in Chapter 15 of its manual. You can clone a smaller drive to a larger drive and vice versa.

You'll need either a USB to SATA adapter as the others suggest, or you can order a cheaper SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter (Part # 43N3412) for about $10 off eBay. With the Bay adapter, you have to temporarily remove your DVD-ROM drive to use it. The ThinkPad 410 manual shows you how.

Cheers!
[cheers]

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

By the way, if you go with a USB to SATA adapter, I recommend this one:

It has both types of IDE connections (laptop and standard) as well as SATA, plus it comes with a standalone power adapter to power hard drives that need it. I can personally vouch this one works very well.

There is a "restored" version of Hirens boot CD that has Norton Ghost on it.

My method to do this is:

Boot from Hirens Boot (Mini XP mode)
Start Ghost.
Backup / Clone old drive to DVDs (shouldn't take too many) or I prefer to use a USB HDD.
Take out Old Drive
Install new Drive.
Boot Hirens.
Restore Old Drive to New Drive.
Boot from New Drive.
Extend your old partition to use the new space

If you prefer to be more ethical about this, then use the "open source" version of Hirens and there are various clone tools as well.

The above method is good for me, as I now has a good backup of my old drive for keeps.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

Consider this topic beaten to death by replies.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Here is what I ended up doing:
1. Connected SATA/USB adapter with 160GB drive.
2. Used Rescue and restore feature and saved it on that drive
3. Replaced original drive with 320GB
4. Booted from USB/Sata 160GB drive and restored the system on new 320GB drive.
5. The only thing that I had to do was to install MS Office.

Working great, thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back