Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost 12 Hangs During HDD Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhowland

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
GB
I'm running Norton Ghost 12 on a new Vista laptop and am having some problems. A month ago a full recovery point backup worked fine, and weekly incremental backups have run each week with no problems. The total disk usage on the drive is around 30Gb and I have a Western Digital external USB drive that I'm backing up onto. I've also run a file and folders backup that completed normally.

However, with a new month rolling round Ghost tries to create a new full recovery point. It gets to between 33% and 48% (having created a file with zero size) and then just sits for hours (I've left it overnight at 33% and it hadn't moved by the following morning).

I can't see any errors in the logs and the disk was defragmented a couple of days ago, so I don't know why Ghost seems to be hanging.

Any ideas on how to work out what's happening would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried running ChkDsk /r on the USB drive to see if it is having problems or errors. Right-click your USB Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Perhaps you should try it on your main drive too, in case it is having problems reading from that?

See if any of the specialized forums can help you.

Radfield guide to Norton Ghost 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back