Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton AntiVirus Detects Spam Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepanee

MIS
Aug 17, 2007
US
So.. i go to my router and i demilitarize (DMZ) my computer so I can have access to alot of programs without troubles. But when I do that, Norton AntiVirus starts going crazy and giving me messages that my computer is sending out infinite email messages that are considered as spam. This only happens when i DMZ my computer (open all ports).

So, I wanna know who is sending stuff to this IP number, since the internet it lagging like hell anyways, and I want to know what i can use to locate the source of what is being sent to my IP number. Thank you.

It sounds like you may have a Spyware issue. I suggest that you first install Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware. That can clean out a lot of that junk. If you actually want to figure out who is doing this, there is a tool made by VisualZone (the same company that makes Zonealarm) that apparently detects intrusions and supposedly allows you to access anybody's system who tries to hack you. It is a free program. I haven't tried it myself, but if you want to give it a try, let me know how it works! Here is the link:

Oh! One more thing! I think this program has to be used in conjunction with ZoneAlarm.

ok.. so this occured yesterday. i'm not sure what exactly it was from, but i resolved the issue (for now).

I ran a virus scan and an Ad-Aware Professional 2007 scan. found cookies in ad-aware, and none of them were serious.

so.. i was a little disappointed, but i downloaded ZoneAlarm (still havent installed it) and VisualZone (installed it, but needs ZoneAlarm like you said, clint).

yesterday, i was almost going to restore the computer to the day before yesterday, but my windows Vista is pretty lame by deleting older restore points and only giving me the last THREE recent ones (one of them was one i could restore to) but i did not restore; thought i can challenge myself to trying to fix it.

well, i accessed msconfig. The only suspisious startup item i saw was "Microsoft Windows Operating System" with the command line of running: "rundll32.exe znetm32.dll,uqil"
i definately suspected something here.. but, if you google some of that, u see it's MS Zone for games (it installed new software yesterday when i went to play Texas Hold'em).

So i dunno if there's some security flaw there. but we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back