Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

norton antivirus 7.5 corporate won't uninstall!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclepink

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
hi guys,
i upgraded my OS from win 09 to win 2000 pro and did not format the drive before that.. now the norton antivirus of the old system does not run in the newer version and the worst part is it doesnot get uninstalled.. not only that it does not even let me install a new one.. i went to the symantec website and lots of people have had the same problem in the past so they gave a step by step instruction to unistall all the components manually from all the places.. i wasted one hour doing that as well but for no use.. its very irritating to have some program in your control panel knowing that it does not do anything moreover i messed around too much with my system registry.. what is the best thing i can do right now???
thanks
pink

In my experience with this you must do some editing within the registry. If the install is registered when you go to Add/Remove Programs try uninstalling from there, then use regedit to remove all instances of Norton any or Antivirus software, then try reinstalling. There were also cases wehre I had to add the admin share from the command prompt (i.e. net share admin$). Go to command prompt and type net share and see if you see admin$, if not you'll have to readd it. Are you doing a remote install with the Corporate Edition? It doesn't really matter because you'll still have to use that. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back