Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Antivirus 2006 causes system freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedk0re

Technical User
Feb 23, 2006
US
I have 3 computers running Windows 2000 networked on the same workgroup. I recently installed Norton Antivirus 2006 as an upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2005, and this is when the trouble started.
Since installation of Norton Antivirus 2006, my systems intermittenly locks up when accessing shared drivers on each other. An hourglass appears, and I am unable to do anything other than reboot. This error occurs when trying to access clients from the server, and trying to access the server from either clients.
I have tried disabling Norton's Worm Protection, and have stopped all Norton/Symantec related services from the administrative tools/services, but the problem still occurs. The only way I can make it completely stop is by uninstalling Norton altogether.
Anyone have any suggestions, or seen similiar problems?
many thanks

I have a different problem from the same event. I have four new Dell machines that came with the 90-day Norton IS 2005. I did the same thing you did and I am in week three of many problems from not being able to login to the domain controller, system crashes, and corruption of an application file.

I have stripped down one computer completely and reinstalled Windows XP Professional, then Norton AV 2006, and finally rejoined it to the domain. So far, three days without problems. I did not have any success with removing Norton IS 2005 with the uninstaller.

I have two other issues that are killing me, both related to Symantec.

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

these issues can sometypes happen due to the system resources that norton takes when in use. this is a big software that i would only recommend to use with windows xp

check to see how much system resources you have available when you are running norton as this might shed some light on why your computer is locking up.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

My Norton sub. ran out yesterday so I updated to the 2006 version. It didn't install properly and now EVERYTHING is broken. I can't get into any programs (all show broken icons) and can't even get into Control Panel to uninstall Norton (it says: "can't create a short-cut here" when I try to open it). I can't get online. Nothing. Do I need to reformat my machine? Help!

See if you can use the Norton uninstall tool. I "tinyURLed" it at for easier access.

I had success with this tool taking off the Norton IS 2005 stuff.

Larry S.
Systems & Network Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back