Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton anti virus removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

latiniceman

Technical User
Apr 1, 2007
US
I'm running Windows XP Home and my Norton Systemworks 2003 expired. I uninstalled it so I can install the free safety and security center that comes with AOL. Upon dloading virus definitions, it says it can't install because Norton Antivirus was detected, BUT I UNINSTALLED IT AND DON'T SEE IT ANYWHERE!!! Can someone please help me with this one? Thanks. Regards,

Richie

Norton Antivirus or Security centre invariably leaves all sorts of cr*p in the Registry, and even doesn't always delete sub-dirs!

First off search the hard disk for anything with Norton or Symantec in the filename. Assuming you've got no other Norton/Symantec products installed, delete them all.

Check the Install/Uninstall section within Control Panel, just to check nothing else Norton is lurking there, then it's a question of plodding through the Registry using the "Find" command.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Try the above mentioned removal tool, it may be necessary to use a Registry Cleaner to thoroughly remove the remnants of Norton from your system.

Perhaps as an alternative to AOL, you could use the SP2 Firewall and something like AVG Free anti virus?

And while you are there you can have a look at this, if you like.

AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back