Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton 360 Restore Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Okay - here's the situation. Failed main hard drive in PC. Backup from Norton 360 is on another internal drive (which is still functional).

Got another computer, installed 360 on it and proceeded to restore all the data that was in the backup file (single backup on the hard drive)

Question: Why is the folder containing the backup near 10GB in size, but my folder that I get from restoring it only contains 2.7GB of data? The customer thinks some data may be missing, but she doesn't know what she asked Norton to backup - so nobody is sure what was actually backed up.

Is there some stuff that didn't get restored because of the size discrepancy? There were no error messages on the summary screen so it appears that everything got restored.

Wow - I'm blown away by the number of replies here. But, not to fret - Norton support can't get it to work either.

So much for backing up your data "knowing" that you can restore it when your little hard drive goes boom. Glad it's not MY data.

I still use a tape drive and then Mozy online.

Did you find that Norton had RESERVED 10gigs but only
used a portion of that - I know that I have 10 gigs setup
for the online backup, but only use 2 or 3

You're a little late to the party here, but NOT ONLINE backup - it was to an external hard drive.

It just couldn't restore the 10GB that it said it had backed up. Only restored 2.x GB. Never resolved even with their tech support.

Big fat bummer for the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back