Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton 360 AND Malware Bytes, etc.???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayLaborer

Programmer
Jan 3, 2006
US
Does Norton 360 provide a complete solution that makes installing something like Malware Bytes (for extra protection) unnecessary? Can they run side-by-side, anyway?

Thanks,
Eliezer

I haven't personally used Norton 360 or Malware Bytes, but Norton 360 appears to have antispyware, rootkit protection, and others in addition to antivirus.

Based on that, it's probably unnecessary to have Malware Bytes running. It's also likely not a good idea to have them both running at the same time, especially if they both do active scanning - this could lead into deadlocks and slow the PC down to a snail's pace.

I've had to clean up several machines that have multiple resident active scanners installed by the machine's user - the computers were so damn slow they were unusable.

Yes its completely necessary. n360 is antivirus and mwb is antimalware, its def best 2 have those both installed. n360 takes care of viruses which are bad, and mwb takes care of malware which can b relly bad. mwb is the best prgrm 2 have 4 that anyway

Since I first posted, I got Norton Internet Security 2010. It says it guards against malware. Does it not do a good job so that secondary software (like MWB) is necessary?

No anti-malware program will catch 100% of the malware. Personally, I use Malware Bytes, Super Antiwpyware, and Windows Defender.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

cmeagan, you don't find that running them all slow down your system?

I use Windows Defender for realtime protection and run the other two "on demand" once a week (on different days, through scheduled tasks, in the middle of the night). There is no noticeable slow down.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back