Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton 2003 Dialing Out to Internet CONSTANTLY w/ Live Update OFF ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
I have Norton 2003 Professional on several different systems, some 98 some ME, some XP. Since I have installed it the systems are dialing to the internet randomly numerous times daily and it is quite annoying since I am still on a dial up connection and my fax shares the line. I have turned off LIVE UPDATE on all the systems and the problem has reduced but is still persistent. Has anyone had this problem and what is the resolution?? I have contacted Symantec but they have not replied as of yet. I have also checked in MSCONFIG and there is nothing else loading that would need or cause an internet connection. I hope someone has an answer as it is driving me crazy. Thanks for your advise. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

Have you tried selecting the option to "Never Dial A Connection" from Internet Options/ Connections, in the Control Panel.

yeah that's a new feature in the 2003 version of NSW-P it's called connection keep alive there is no way to directly shut this off in the programs window its self so you might want to go into options in the main window of nsw-p then down to web tools then under the connection keep alive tab then to the disable after (?) minutes of inactivity "comes set the 30 minutes by default" and just set it to (one minute) this way it'll shut it's self off in short order.
I'm not certain if what they call inactivity is using the net it's self or your wither this covers your entire computer though?
I personally think that this was a rather poorly thought-out addition to nsw in general having it without a shut off option.

all of the systems NEED to dial the internet and are dialing through shared internet connections on a LAN and need internet access. Thus, I shouldn't have to choose NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION. Also, to clarify this is Norton Anti-Virus 2003 Pro not Norton System Works. I don't see anything other than LIVE UPDATE that you can choose to disable or turn off. Keith Buchanan
AplusNetworking.com
keith@aplusnetworking.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back