Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NorthwindCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

momon

Vendor
May 22, 2002
CA
Hello,

I am trying to switch from a database running on the JET engine to one that uses MSDE. However, I am having some difficulties getting the sample database NORTHWINDCS to work.

I have two computers both with WIN XP PRO installed. Let's say my computer is named A and the remote computer is named B. Both computers have NORTHWINDCS installed. MSDE is installed on computer B. I have no difficulties opening NORTWINDCS locally on computer B. Unfortunately, I am having difficulties opening NORTHWINDCS remotely from computer A. The "Data Link Properties" window pops up but I cannot connect.

The error message displayed is "Microsoft Access could not log on to the server. Verify that the log on information is correct."

I have the following settings
1. Select or enter a server name:
B

2. Enter information to log on to the server:
Use Windows NT Integrated security

3. Select the database on the server:
NorthwindCS

Also, when I try to "Test Connection", the following error message is given

"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. Login failed for user 'B\Guest'.

I have tried many things to rectify the problem including:
1) creating a guest account on computer B
2) installing MSDE with the line SECURITY=SQL and then trying to log on remotely using user: sa; password blanked out

I think the problems result from not having an account set up on computer B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

you need to install MSDE on computer 2 aswell then goto the
next folder
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn

and open the SVRNETCN program then make sure you have right protocol set up lets say TCP/IP remove all others then click on properties and chech if it is on port 1433 and make sure your firewall lets you use this port.

now it should work better.

and make sure your users have rights on the database if you are using windows integrated security

Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back