Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel voicemail routing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACGLLC

Vendor
May 27, 2010
US
I have a client with a Nortel Norstar phone system. I will admit I'm not that well versed in this system but to date I have been able to figure out what needs to be done to accomplish the client's programming needs. One of the services this client offers is answering calls for other small businesses.

The basic premise is the small business forwards their main number to one of my clients lines and the office staff knows how to answer the phone based on which incoming line lights up.

Here is my problem, once upon a time a business called let's say "XYZ" had 2 incoming phone lines on the Nortel phone system along with 2 internal extensions as they maintained an office in the building. Both lines would call forward to a single voice mailbox instead of 2 different voice mailboxes. XYZ has since moved out of the building and my client has had new numbers setup on XYZ's 2 incoming lines. Now 2 different businesses are forwarding calls to the 2 new numbers. During the day everything works great but if the calls come in after hours both lines end up going to the same voice mailbox.

What I have done so far. I created 1 new mailbox since the 2 lines originally went to a single mailbox. Both lines are set for call forward no answer and forward to the voicemail port (x283).

I know the voice mailboxes work because the operators are able to transfer calls directly to the correct voice mailbox during work hours. Only when the call does not get answered does it go to the wrong voice mailbox.

This may help explain it a little easier
Original Config:
Line065 --> Rings Ext322 & 323 -->No answer go to VM322
Line066 --> Rings Ext322 & 323 -->No answer go to VM322

Needed Config:
Line065 --> Rings Ext322 -->No answer go to VM322
Line066 --> Rings Ext323 -->No answer go to VM323

I have figured out a work around, I have them do a Feature 4 x283 on each extension and the calls do route to the correct voice mailbox but this requires them to set the call forward each night before leaving and disable the call forward when they come in each morning.

I have reviewed the line settings and the voicemail programming but I'm obviously missing something.

Last programming note, while I do not know what version of software the system is running when I get into programming it shows "A. Configuration" and not "Terminals & Sets"

Thanks for any assistance.

Have Line 065 ring DN 322 (remove line 066)
And Line 066 Ring DN 323 remove Line 065)

You'll find it under CONFIGURATION > LINE ACCESS > LINE ASSIGNMENT

Marv ccna
Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx
Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back