Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel To Sell Enterprise Solutions Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the typo. It should say the "winning bidder". [purpleface]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

so all the Nortel guys will now start learning the Avaya product line? Not a nice thing if you have worked on Nortel for 20 years and now hang in the air and don't know where the wind of business will blow you to.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

I read that Verizon isn't happy with the sale. If I remember what the article said, it seems that Nortel provides support to Verizon for Government installations and Avaya wants to discontinue that.

As I said elsewhere, it looks like some of Ma Bell's kids still can't get along. [hammer]

All the Nortel installed base before the sell will not just go away over night. I am still working on old NorthStar key 6/16 and 8/24 with DR5 software from 10 years ago. I just went to a service call on a opt11 with rel 18 running. Many companies still believe if it's not broke and still does what they want it to do,why replace it? The Firestone dealer where I buy my tires has a "Tie " key system that is over 20 years old. That is why they have the best prices in town.

"so all the Nortel guys will now start learning the Avaya product line?"

Probably not. When Lucent bought Octel back in the 90's the Octel techs came along with the deal and continued to install and repair the Octel machines and didn't learn the Lucent stuff. Most of the Lucent tech's didn't learn Octel either.

Another question is what does Avaya have planned for the Nortel product line they are about to acquire?

Avaya has slowly begun to move away from traditional telephone systems. The company discontinued the Merlin platform in order to advance the IP Office. It was even suggested that Avaya wanted to stop producing physical systems altogether and become a software provider.

The only traditional telephone system still in production is the Partner ACS and Avaya almost killed it by releasing the R7 processor before all of the bugs had been worked out. On top of that, they issued patches that fixed bugs but created others in the process. By the "K" revision, the R7 was stable.

On the bright side, the R8 processor seems to be behaving itself.

I'm not familiar with Nortel's current offerings. If there are any traditional systems still in production (like the Norstar Meridian), will Avaya retire those and just keep any IP and hybrid systems around [ponder]

I think Nortel products end of life cycles may be accelerated. Avaya does not want to alienate the installed Nortel base. So it will be an interesting to see what Avaya does with the product. As far as support goes, I think software patches and peps will be needed from a legal standpoint. But applications and hardware will come from third parties. I have customers buying M2000 series and 3900's series sets for less than $80.00. Line cards, Trunk interfaces are also reasonable. Same goes for the Norstar key system hardware. It will be interesting ride !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back