Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue31

Technical User
Jun 28, 2007
US
Can someone explain to me the functions of the CPPM call server and signaling server

Really? Is this a test or an actual question?

Its a valid question. I have worked with Nortel for many years, but our company direction is away from them, hence we have not updated/upgraded a Nortel PBX in 5++ years and have had no workings with the server side integrated in to PBX's. I have an idea how to answer this question, but it would be nice to have the answer from someone who really knows.

In basic terms

The CPPM card is a processor "CPU" that replaced the former SSC and CPT/CPP hardware versions. It came in at release 05.00 and became the one CPU for call processing and merged the option 11 range into the larger big switch configuration database.

There are a number of different formats as the original CPPM for call processing used a 1 Gig Compact flash card inside it. The signalling server used the same CPPM card, but had a hard disk and extra memory.

At release 6.0, the Co Res combined CPPM card arrived that did both Call and Sig processing.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

As FB has covered the Call Server, the Signaling Server provides functionality for the VOIP side it has:

Telephone Proxy Server (TPS) used for UNISTIM IP Phone registration
Network Routing Server (NRS) clue is in the name (Digits to Destination IP Address)
Personal Directory, Caller and Redial Lists
SIP and H323 Gateway used for IP trunking
Element Manager a web GUI for configuration
Depending upon release may have Phones section (OTM/TM replacement)

Think thats about it, also depending upon release you may have Session Managers which makes the NRS bit redundant. There are several platforms ISP1100 (Not used anymore) COTS1 & 2 Look in the planning guides for server types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back