Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Norstar Personal Mailbox - # of rings to pickup T7316e 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I also have "inherited" a phone system like many I see on here. I am not as savvy as some in the lingo yet, so bear with me. But this is really driving me crazy because I have spent considerable time trying to figure it out and get everyone set up the same in sales across the board.
I went to everyone in sales and had them set a password and leave a personal message for their voicemail. I set the system to show the name of that person at each location. Ideally now, if the phone gets transferred to them by the operator or another extension, that person's voicemail for their mailbox should kick in after so many rings if they don't answer. I called each line to make sure their individual
voicemails kicked in and all but two did.
I went into Feature 983
AA
Lines
Put in the line # of choice (300)
It says "Line:300 Ans:AA"
I choose "Table"
Rings
Chng
Set # of rings (5)
OK
And I thought that would change the # of rings that each personal mailbox would pick up after. Apparently not.
I can't find anywhere else to set a number of rings for this.
What I want is when the operator transfers a call to my personal line, that if I am not here, my personal voicemail greeting for my personal mailbox will kick in.
I don't know what I do not understand, or exactly then what I set for 5 rings.
I set all the sales lines this way, but still the same lines that picked up before do and not necessarily with 5 rings, and the others don't, including my own. I don't see different setting anywhere to differentiate why it does that.
My office gals have been paging literally every phone call for sales and I can't have them start transferring until I know the personal voicemail messages are all picking up!
Ahhhh! Help!
I will take any words of wisdom!!!!

Programming for Call Forwarding to Voice mail is not found in voice mail programming (F983)

It is in the phone system itself. Terminals & Sets > Capabilities > Call forward.

You will need installer access to the phone system.

Marv ccna

Currently, there is the main line where the operator answers and then I have my separate extension # 300, like the rest of the sales staff and admin. So, initially the operator answers it and if it is for me, she transfers a call to me, or someone calls me internally from another extension - it will ring and ring and ring if I don't pick up. It will NOT go to my personal VM message, ever.
Going into ##226344 menu and doing call forward, I cannot forward my ext to ext as a choice. I don't want to forward to another line/person. I just want it to go into my VM if I am away from phone or on another line.
How SPECIFICALLY do I do that? Command by command, please!
Some of the sales lines do, some don't and I don't know why. It is driving me crazy that I cannot figure it out!!!! It'll stop the operator from having to page EVERY call. No one else who is still here knows how to work the system!
HELP!

THANK YOU!!!!

No one else who is still here knows how to work the system!

Then i suggest you retain the services of a qualified tech.

How SPECIFICALLY do I do that? Command by command, please!
You been given the in my first post. This is not a teaching forum.

Marv ccna

Do feature 985 and note the ext # on the display....this is voice mails ext.
Then do Terminals & Sets > YOUR EXT # > Capabilities > Call forward.
Enter in voice mails Ext #, not yours.
Set the ring count to 3 or 4.
Done

Make sure to unod what you did before:
It says "Line:300 Ans:AA"
I choose "Table"
Rings
Chng
Set # of rings (5)
OK

Should be
It says "Line:300 Ans:AA" - CHANGE TO NO
I choose "Table"
Rings
Chng
Set # of rings (5)
OK

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I am slow sorry, I agree with Marv...you need to call in a tech, we help with issues and not train.
If you are frustrated then deal with your company...not us, read the operating manual and get trained.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Curly, THANK YOU! That was the last piece of the puzzle. I was reading a prior post that discussed how mailbox #'s and extensions may not match. When you gave me F985, that was the final piece! The commands you gave made it perfectly clear which # went where. I immediately tried it and it worked! The gal up here with me laughed at my excitement!

I have been pouring over the two manuals left here by the prior BDC manager. Turnover has been high, sales low and so the sales extensions were really the last concern on their list with the new GM. I took it upon myself to try to help my fellow comrades. I can't spend $ on a qualified tech without permission, and when I mentioned I was trying to help out with the phones, my GM said he didn't hire me for that. At that point I already had all the extensions correctly labeled with names in both locations, everyone having recorded their own mailbox message, this was just the final key I needed so the phones could be used effectively in sales. For that, MANY thanks. The guys will be thrilled!

AGAIN, THANK YOU - YOU ROCK CURLY!!!!

Jill

Sorry you guys feel that way and apologize for the posted question. If the program manuals had been that clear, I wouldn't have been searching for the answer to begin with. After spending at least a few hours going through the manuals and trying to learn on my own, the final question I couldn't get - the fact the extension and vmail weren't necessarily the same which is NOT clear in the manual for a layman, was the last thing I needed. If I had been too lazy to search for the answer on my own before posting, I could see the response warranted.

Curly, it was nice you were willing to answer it and make the link for me, even though technically I guess this forum doesn't support that. Allworxguy gave a very general answer which I tried before repeatedly even before his posting - but without the knowledge the ext and vmail might not match - I would've still been going through the menus on the phone and in the book. I knew I was close, I just needed the last link.

It is unfortunate I was chastised over asking a question from professionals, and felt like in the long run though I got the answer I needed (thank you), I received an unprofessional attitude. This was the only site in my repeated internet research and readings that came close to answering my question - which is why I posted here. Consider it a compliment as opposed as to some horrible drudgery that I'm guessing didn't take much time or effort from you because you already knew it. Us admin professionals aren't always in the best position to do our job and try to solve our own problems when we run in continued dead ends within our own company. Though that is not anyone on this site's problem, all we want ultimately is to be able to do our job effectively and do whatever it takes to get there - that is what makes ME a professional - and your little piece of knowledge provided that. If Allworx rather would've taken the same amount of time to offer a complete solution as chastise me, or at least tell me professionally (aka tactfully) "training" questions aren't answered on the boards, I would've apologized and withdrawn my question. I'm left feeling thankful to have the answer, and yet taken back on the curt response from Allworx and the later chiming in by you to "end the misery". My apologies you had to take your time and professional knowledge to end the "misery". I thought people had forums and shared knowledge on the internet to help each other. I guess I was mistaken.

In the end Curylcord, you could've just taken the compliment and left it at that for helping someone, or a gentle reminder the forums don't answer my type of questions rather than making me feel like a slug for asking it.

I hope that when someone crosses my path, yet again, with need for professional knowledge in my field that I think they should already have, I'm not so quick to bring to their attention they should know it and it is not my problem rather than to take the same amount of time it would be to offer a grumpy answer as to offer a quick explanation I feel blessed to know the knowledge about and can share.

I won't post again on the board and will cancel my user privileges as apparently the wealth of knowledge on this board is only offered to the elite and not the common person. Happy Holidays gentlemen.

Interesting post.

First off I said thanks then gave Allworxguy a star and mentioned he had the answer, something a lot of people around here simply wont do so I did.....should not be an issue for you.

"Sorry you guys feel that way"
Feel what way???

"Chiming in, End the misery"
Meaning you seemed or gave the impression you were frustrated as you were using CAPS etc, I simply ended it for you....nothing wrong with my comment especially when LOL which is Laugh Out Loud.

"I received an unprofessional attitude"
Only in your mind.

" chastised, feel like a slug, grumpy, taken back"
Sigh!.

""that is what makes ME a professional"
Seriously?

This is Tuesday, not Monday!.

Nobody did anything wrong here except ask, advise and help.
If you do not want to post here again that's fine, I am sure nobody needs to see posts like that when all we did was was help and advise AND NOTHING FURTHER.
If you take a phrase the wrong way it's not a big deal, it happens the odd time but to take just about everything the wrong way and go on a rant accusing and putting us both down like that is just plain ridiculous.

Hoping you wake up on the right side tomorrow.

cc

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

jillharvey,
Many of us here ARE professionals who make our living solving questions like the one you asked. I provided your answer based on forum guide lines. Which are: answer questions with "what to do, not how to do it". It is not my problem you don't understand the terminology used here. It is meant for other telecom professionals.

I provided the correct answer to your question, succinctly and in a manner any telecom professional would understand. It is not the boards mandate to provide training. Would you provide your admin services free to anyone who asks?

Now, consider how much your hunting and pecking through the system menus and the time you spent searching on the internet this has cost your employer. I think as a professional admin assistant you would appreciate the value of calling in another professional when you are tasked with something out of the relm of your expertise. The cost of the time you wasted for your employer would have paid for someone to come in to your office corrected the issue AND provided you with admin training.

Thanks for the star Curly.

Marv ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back