Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Norstar Inbound PRI Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortel-newbie

Technical User
Jun 6, 2020
US
Hello,

I'm working on assisting with Inbound PRI issue on a Nortel Norstar MICS. There was a recent change in Telco (TPx) PRI services. The change was from an older solution that used a T1 circuit for transport to an Adtran unit that broke off an internet port and a PRI circuit to the Nortel Norstar MICS. THe Carrier is sunsetting this service and migrating clients to a UCx type service with a similar on-prem hand-off. In the newer hand-off, the transport is an aggregated group of EOC circuits and a different model Adtran unit that hands off FXS and PRI circuits. I provide this as history only.

The cut-over was successful however, calls to the Main Line 310-XXX-1010 are no longer targeting the two main reception phones on the respective lines. Calls to the Main DID 310-XXX-1010 now ring only on Reception 1 desk and light up 3 buttons. As mentioned above, the previous behavior on these same Inbound DID calls was to target a Shared line on both Reception phones so that either could answer - only the single button would light up on these calls. There was no change to the Nortel Norstar programming at time of cut-over. The only two things performed on the Nortel were 1) disconnecting the cable from the old PRI jack and connecting it to the new PRI jack and 2) after waiting about a minute for the PRI to synch up and did not, a reset of the PRI Interface was performed on the Nortel Norstar by selecting the reset PRI button in the programming.

The Carrier is sending 4 digits and the PRIs are set to NI-2. The local Norstar extensions are set to 3 digits. A point of note is that Inbound calls to the Main DID now display Line 1 to Prime XXX. According to the receptionist, this is new. Previously, Inbound calls presented Caller ID & CNAM (which the Carrier has confirmed are still active on the PRI). The original design of the system is very simple: all calls to the site come in on the Shared Line of the Reception phones, then roll over to the site's Main Line V-mail. It's very straighforward. Although the PRI has a DID range, the only number used is the Main Line 310-XXX-1010. All calls are then transferred to the 3 digit internal extensions.

The objective is to correct this so that all calls to Main DID ring in as before.

I primarily work on Cisco IPT and know how to navigate a tad bit on Nortel so I am looking for ideas on how to correct this. Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Nortel Newbie

Sounds to me the telco is not providing the correct digits and the call is going to the prime default set as there is no target line for the incoming digits.

Marv ccna

There is another DID I can use 310-XXX-1021 to test this. Can you guide me on how to set those calls coming into 310-XXX-1021 to target the Reception desks?

Better yet, how can I set all Incoming calls to target the Shared Line on the two reception desks?

Thank you!

Go to Target Lines and add 1021 (if the Received Digits is set to 4 in System Programming/Public)
Go to Set 2XX and add Target XXX as Appear & Ring or Ring only(to Intercom keys), and next option right there is "Appearances" give it 2 or more.
If you went with Ring Only then make sure to match both Intercoms and Appearances.
Example with Ring Only:
Reception - Target Line Ring Only - 4 Appearances and 4 Intercoms
All others - Target Line Ring Only - 2 Appearances and 2 Intercoms

"if the Received Digits is set to 4 in System Programming/Public"
You could set it to 10 then add the 10 digits of 310-XXX-102 and test, if that works then remove one by one until it does not work then you will figure out what they are really sending down the pipe.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Some more information:

I'm here now to assist my Friend and in the system.

DN length is actually set to 4
Rec'd # length is set to 3

The Telco stated they were sending 4. Is this a problem?

Also, I see Terminals&Sets and Lines in the menu but no Target Lines.

When they are 4 and you are 3 then yes that is a problem.

DN Length - DN = Directory Number (your phones extension numbers), it has nothing to do with Received Digits or Rec'd # length.
DN length is actually set to 4 = So reception sets would be X2221 and up by default.

Received Digits length should be 4 if they are sending 4.
So if you set Received Digits length to 4 then you would have your Target Lines start at 4.

Target lines are under "Lines" lust like any other line.
Target Lines start at 145 or 157 on newer software, look at the install guide for the version software you are using.
Example:
Main Line - Line 145 - Received digits = 1021
User DID - Line 146 - Received digits = 1022
User DID - Line 146 - Received digits = 1023

In Terms & Sets:
X2221 Line Access, assign Line 145

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search