Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Migration to UCX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
Has anyone converted the BCM50 to a UCX gateway and successfully have it up and running with UCX50 and digital phones???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Me too. Works like a charm. You do need a license from them to make it work though. Do you have one installed?

i have the licenses, just need to be activated. i have one in my office that i'm working with. i wanted to familiarize myself with functionality.
i have a few questions, first is how to interface sip trunks physically w/ ucx? do i need a mac addresses for digital phones or can i use zero? how to give same did multiple appearances on phone if lines assigned are limited to 5? there is more but i figure i can sort most of it out through teat sets.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

My system is set up with a UCx50 Call Server, with a BCM50, digital gateway. I changed the hard drive myself, it was quite easy.

My SIP trunks are set up through the main UCx50 call server with voip.ms. The digital phones all have a MAC address, so you simply plug the digital phones into the same punchdown equivalent on the BCM 66 block or RJ45 breakout kit. Then the digital phones will power up and read "Not configured"

You then go into the main UCx GUI and:
-select Nortel sets
-Choose MAC address and you'll be able to choose between all the phones plugged in, they will have an automatic MAC address and say if they are Mxxxx or Txxx.
-Choose the phone
-Choose submit at the bottom of the page
-Press the orange "apply configuration" bar on top of the screen
-Digital set will say "locating server"
-Then the digital phone connects.

****New Forum - E-Metrotel UCx****
Joseph Sus-Nortel Installer/Programmer-"JoetheUCxguy" on Youtube

Oh and I should mention the UCx digital gateway connects to the UCx Call Server via a patch cord between the Call Server (via stack or POE switch) and Digital Gateway LAN port.

I have the ucx50 connected to broadband switch and figured I connect the ucx-gw same. just emailed for license key and waiting on bcm50 for conversion. Thanks... One other question I've uploaded some mp3 files to a folder in music on hold, how do i playback music on pc from new folder???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Gordon, also I've never worked with sip trunking so not sure how to interface w/ ucx50 server...is this a hard connection???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

The Hard connection works by simply connecting your UCx to the outside world via your network. I have a DSL connection with a patch cable running from my DSL unit to a Nortel BSR222 router which then filters into 2 BES50 POE switches, 1 Baystack, and a BCM working unit and the UCx digital gateway. So once the UCx is connected to the network, you can simply set up the SIP trunking.

How it works is that you sign up for a SIP trunking service such as voip.ms or your other favorite sip provider. They will provide you with a Username and Password which will allow you to access their SIP trunks. You would enter this information under the SIP trunking GUI interface....

Choose Trunks
Then choose SIP trunking:

Under peers you'd use the following format: (this one is for voip.ms)

host=chicago.voip.ms (my provider)
type=peer
username=(your username from the SIP provider)
secret=(your password from the SIP provider)
fromuser=(your username from the SIP provider)
trustrpid=yes
sendrpid=yes
qualify=yes
nat=yes
insecure=port,invite
canreinvite=nonat
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
context=from-trunk
dtmfmode=auto

Then ignore everything else until you get to the bottom of the page:

Go to the Registration area and for the Registration String enter:

Your SIP Username:Your SIP password@chicago.voip.ms:5060

Then under INBOUND ROUTES on the GUI, set up a route for the calls to come into. You should choose a DID from your SIP trunking provider.
Create a route using the phone number for your DID, enter those into the first 2 fields on the page which are DESCRIPTION and DID NUMBER.
Then choose the destination you'd like the DID to ring to. You can set it to ring into a ring group of multiple phones or just one phone. There are many choices for destinations.

Then choose OUTBOUND ROUTES on the GUI for a route for outgoing calls:
Type in a ROUTE NAME and ROUTE CID, which is your DID number.
skip down to "Dial Patterns that will use this Route" section
(PREPEND) - (OUTGOING CODE SUCH AS 9)-1NXXNXXXXXX - /Caller ID

Then the last tab to modify is "Trunk Sequence for Matched Routes"
Choose the name of the Inbound Trunk you just created on Inbound Route

You should be good to go....these aren't exact user manual instructions, but I hope they help.

Joe

I'll try to answer a few questions - even though Joe probably answered most of them.

"do i need a mac addresses for digital phones or can i use zero?"
Each phone must be associated with an extension using a MAC address. For digital phones, the UCx digital gateway software generates a pseudo MAC address for each phone/port. When creating extensions for phones, you can initially set the MAC address in the configuration to 0 - doing so allows you to use "set based configuration" to assign extensions to specific phones (must be enabled under Nortel Settings). Alternatively, if the phones are already connected and showing the text "Not registered" on their display (the gateway must be alive and configured for that), all unregistered phones would show up in the drop down control for the MAC address - in that case, you can simply pick the appropriate phone from the list.

"how to interface sip trunks physically w/ ucx?"
The interface for SIP trunks is the Ethernet connection. If you plan to use a VoIP.ms trunk, you can use either the SIP trunk setup described by Joe or you can try a simpler way:
- Go to PBX - Trunk Providers and click on New Account
- Select a user friendly name for the trunk account and enter the VoIP.ms user name, secret and DID.
- Check the Details box and under Details in the Host control enter the VoIP.ms server name you want to use (this server name must match the configuration on the VoIP.ms side)
- Save the trunk account by clicking on Save
Your trunk should be functional right away. The next two steps you'll have to complete is to define an inbound route that will be used for this trunk and an outbound route that will route calls over this trunk.

"how to give same did multiple appearances on phone if lines assigned are limited to 5?"
You can have up to 5 line appearances on each phone. There are similar to I/C keys on Norstar/BCM - they can be used to receive internal calls or external calls. If you want the same DID to ring on multiple phones, you can do the following:
- Create a ring group with all extensions that should ring for incoming calls over the DID and select the "ringall" strategy
- Define an inbound route for the DID and set the destination to the created ring group
With this configuration, all phones in the ring group will ring for incoming calls over the DID (provided they have a free line appearance and they do not have DND enabled).

In case you want to have a button for a specific DID (you want the user to know over which DID the call arrived), there is a way to do that, too. You can create a new Nortel extension, set its type to "Virtual", set the DID route destination to be this virtual Nortel extension, and finally configure a button on your phone to be a ringing BLF key for the virtual extension. Call over the DID would then be presented on this button - pressing the button would move the call to a line appearance. This virtual nortel extension can be useful for example for the main company DID - you can enable voicemail on the extension and use it as a general delivery mailbox, you can configure after hours follow me for the extension, you can have calls for the DID ringing on a number of phones, etc. etc. It may sound somewhat complex, but this feature provides a lot of flexibility.

"UCx digital gateway connects to the UCx Call Server via a patch cord between the Call Server (via stack or POE switch) and Digital Gateway LAN port."
Well - the UCx digital gateway and the UCx server communicate over IP network. They can be - but do not have to be - collocated. Typically, when they are side by side, they are connected to the same network switch. With IP connectivity, you could have the UCx server in Toronto and the UCx digital gateway in Vancouver. You can also have any number of UCx digital gateways talking to a single UCx server - for example 5 branch offices accross Canada all connected to a single UCx server in Toronto.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck with the first setup. [smile]

Thanks Gordon and UCX guy, I tried both and UCX guy your process was more simplistic although both do work. However, when I go back to voip.ms the sip trunk comes back not registered. Could this be because the license key has not been activated on UCX yet??? Also, I'm going to be installing 2 PRI's and the receptionist has to have multiple same DID locations on her set for two different billing numbers. I don't see where that is possible if there are only 5 line appearances. Is there a way around??? Otherwise I'll have to use the MICS to have multiple target line appearances.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

There are up to 5 line appearances on the UCx phone, which allow you to have up to 5 active calls on the phone at the same time. These calls can arrive all through a single DID or each can arrive through a different DID - it does not matter. You could have any number - even let's say 50 - DID's all routed to a single phone if you want.

As I can see you're familiar with Norstar, I'll try to describe it in Norstar and UCx terms.

On Norstar, you have DN 221 with 5 intercom keys. Let's say you have 23 target lines for 23 DID's. If you want the DN to be able to answer all 23 DID's, on that DN you would configure Ring Only line appearances for each of the target lines.
On UCx, you create the extension 221 and give it 5 line appearances. For the 23 DID's, you create 23 inbound routes. To route the 23 DID's to the extension 221, you set the destination of these inbound routes to be extension 221.

In other words, you can kind of translate the terms between Norstar/BCM and UCx in the following way:
DN = Extension
Intercom key = Line appearance
Target line = Inbound route

Maybe you could describe a Norstar phone configuration for which you want to create an equivalent configuration on UCx. I'll try to reply what you can do on UCx to get the same configuration (or at least how to get close).

Oh - I forgot to answer the SIP trunk related question. Until you apply a license key to the UCx server, telephony services are disabled. That includes SIP trunks.

Hey UCX, I totally get what you're saying. That scenario would work just fine for me if I only had one tenant, however I have two tenants and 2 PRI's and there could be more than 5 calls at any given time. I need to have multiple line appearances and the ability to distinguish between them on her phone. On the MICS I can have the 8 buttons on the left of the T7316e divided between the 2 PRI's for target line appearances and still have all 6 feature keys w/ 2 intercoms on the right and autodial locations for the top 8. I would love to use the UCX for this however it appears that I have more flexability and control w/ the MICS. Can this be duplicated on the UCX????

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

I guess you won't get exactly the same configuration of the T7316E with UCx, but functionally, you could get pretty close.
[ul]
[li]To handle the identification of two DID's, you can create two virtual nortel extensions - one for each DID. Then configure ringing BLF keys (speed dials for the virtual nortel extensions with R after the digits) on the T7316E. With this configuration, the user of the phone will know from which DID calls are coming.[/li]
[li]To be able to handle more than 5 active calls at the same time, I would use the parking lot. With UCx, you can create BLF keys for parking lot extensions that provide an indication when there is a call parked at that extension. Pressing the BLF key retrieves the parked call.
[/li]
[li]The 2 intercoms are equivalent to 2 line appearances.[/li]
[/ul]

With your MICS configuration, you get:
1. Two calls on intercom keys
2. 6 buttons with indicators for features
3. 4 buttons for appear and ring target line appearances of DID 1 (i.e., up to 4 calls on DID 1)
4. 4 buttons for appear and ring target line appearances of DID 2 (i.e., up to 4 calls on DID 2)
5. 8 buttons without indicators for features/speed dials

With UCx configuration that would include 2 buttons on the left side for ringing BLF of DID 1 and 2, 6 buttons on the left side for parking lot extensions and 2 line appearances, you'd get:
1. Two calls on line appearances
2. 6 buttons with indicators for features
3. 2 buttons to present calls on DID 1 and DID 2
4. 6 buttons for parked calls either from DID 1 or DID 2 (i.e., up to 6 calls - any combination of DID 1 and 2)
5. 8 buttons without indicators for features/speed dials

Thanks , I'll delve into it a little more. I have a system almost set up here, so I will duplicate your scenarios and see how they work. Again thanks...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back