Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel MICS swapping software cartridge with a NVRam module and PCMCIA card

Status
Not open for further replies.

daweeezl

Vendor
Nov 4, 2002
US
Hi everyone, trying to get some answers from my vendor and not getting very far.

I have a customer who currently has a MICS, a Flash VM, and a software cartridge with the older programming tree (A Configuration B general admin ect..) installed. They are looking for caller ID so am I able to swap the existing module with a NVram module with upgraded software and then simply add a trunk module with caller ID functionality?

I have experience with administration on these system but am unfamiliar with the hardware compatibility issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It might be a good idea to answer allworxguy's questions.

However, from what you told, you currently have MICS 1.1 or earlier. The new programming tree was introduced in MICS 2.0.

Here are a few things to consider about your software upgrade:
[ul]
[li]The latest release is MICS 7.1.[/li]
[li]For Caller ID, I suggest you upgrade at least to MICS 6.0. This version introduced the ability to display Caller ID on multiple sets.[/li]
[li]You can still display Caller ID on multiple sets with MICS 4.0 or later by using hunt groups. You would have to remove line appearances for this to work.[/li]
[li]Earlier versions will only allow one set to display Caller ID.[/li]
[/ul]

To find out if your version of Flash will be compatible with your upgraded version of MICS, you can have a look at the Norstar Compatibility Matrix appendix in the Norstar Handbook. You can easily find a PDF copy online.

To upgrade from R1 to R4 or higher will require an upgrade tool to maintain the current programming. If you don't mind reprogramming you can just do a STARTUP with the R1, pull the plug, and swap the software. I'd recommend going to at least R6.1 MR as previous versions were buggy. You will most likely need to upgrade the Startalk Flash software to be compatible with the MICS.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Thanks all for your answers. I don't mind reprogramming so the upgrade tool won't be necessary. Based on what was posted the only concern is the compatibility of the Flash. Would I have to reprogram the Flash as well after the upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back