Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Meridian II PABX to SIP via Vega 100 (sangoma)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2019
NL
Hi,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Marnix and I am a network support engineer for an ISP based out of Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

For a client of ours we are trying to implement a Nortel to SIP via a Sangoma Vega100 construction, but I cant get it to work. One of the reasons is that there is little information to be found, by me and my friend google, about the Nortel Meridian II PABX and with which protocol it should use to communicate with the Vega 100. So I am hoping to find help here..

In the current situation we connected the PABX to the Vega E1/T1 port. Initial testing showed us that we could not call out via SIP. We used both straight through cabling and cross, this did not make any difference. The Vega config log shows that the SIPtrunk is registered. So we are probably not using the correct network protocol..

So my question to you all is.. Does anyone know which protocol to use on the Vega 100?
Vega_100_protocollen_rpsupb.png

Or am I misinformed about the Vega and do I need a different protocol? I cannot test the differed protocol because we are forced to use our production network.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Marnix

I guess the question I would have for you is which one are you trying to get working you reference SIP but your post shows config for a E-1??? If you are trying to use an E-1/T-1 configuration the most likely would be the QSIG protocol in the Nortel it would be QSIG and ESGF for the European flavor as ISGF is for North America. As far as the cable you would need to check with Vega my gut feeling tells me it would be a T-1 crossover cable with the transmit and receive pairs reversed. If it is SIP would need more information on your Nortel to know what release it is on and if you are using Session Manager or NRS?? Hope that helps but first let us know which config you are trying to use thanks.

I'm trying to get the PABX to connect with the Vega. The SIP is working and registered. So I believe that no calls are going out because of the noncommunication between PABX and Vega...

Hope this helps..

What is the SIP registered to? Also can you tell me what is the release of the Nortel that you are using?

SIP to E1/T1 are mutually exclusive, meaning, it wont work. Unless you have a gateway converting the T1/E1 to SIP

After looking at that snap shot on the E1 config QSIG would require a PRI as well as the QSIG packages. How do you have the Nortel side configured?

First thank you all for responding! Secondly im hoping that the following screenshot gives more clarity about the release:

Realese_Nortel_d0ytxh.png

The sip registers to sippublic.infopact.nl

Hope this helps

Marnix

The Release of the PBX doesn't mean anything if you don't have the right software packages

I agree you would have to have the correct packages but the question is still do you want to connect the Nortel with SIP or a E-1/T-1 configuration?

What we would like to do is connect te PABX to the Vega. The vega would translate the traffic and send it out of the SIP.

Currently we are trying to connect the PABX via te E1/T1 but are not sure about the right protocol.

SIP Is working out of LAN1, registers and has no know issues. We host our own SIP platform and I am confident that that part of the config works.
We 'just' need to figure opt the Pabx to E1/T1 protocol part..

The SIP configuration has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with configuring the Nortel. You need to see what options the Vega has as far as protocol for the E1/T1 and then match the Nortel to that. QSIG requires certain software packages be in the PBX.

The following options are availble in the VEGA 100
Vega_100_protocollen_is6f8c.png

@KCFLHRC which software package would that be for a Nortel Meridian II PABX?

Not sure what the packages are but once again, how do you have the Nortel side configured? You keep showing screen shots of the Vega but nothing of the PBX config. They have to match

Wohoo! It works. We used the Qsic protocol and it worked. Perhaps the software was installed, I couldn't find it.. But it works so thanks you for thinking with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back