Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Extranet Client behind SMC Barricade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ir0nh34d

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
CA
Hey All,

I'm trying to configure my SMC Barricade router to allow VPN traffic from my coporate Laptop to the comany LAN. I was wondering how I go about setting this up. I've read that I need to forward port 500 and 1723, which I've done using the "Virtual Server" settings, but I've still had no luck. Can someone please help?

Thanx!

Chris

Upgrade to the latest firmware ( and your Nortel VPN should work through the barricade without forwarding ports. Mine does.

However, I have had some performance problems using the Nortel Extranet VPN client through my wireless barricade. It goes much, much slower than it should. It works fine through other routers (linksys). I haven't heard anybody else having the problem, which suggests that maybe my product has some sort of defect?

Good luck!
Kris

I think you might need to use the Special Application setup for configuring the 500 and 1723 ports. I'm still trying to find out how, myself...

I have just got my DSL working with my WIRELESS SMC Barricade router 7004AWBR . I have been able to use the Nortel VPN client without any setup required. I do know it uses PPTP which SMC supports.
I have not yet measured the speed via the Nortel client.
The good thing of course about using this setup is that I can be on my Company Intranet with on PC and be directly on the internet on another PC all through the same router and DSL line.

Unrelated question. Have you been able to get a local network printer attached to the barricade working through the PC using the Nortel client ?

Upgrade to the latest firmware ( and your Nortel VPN should work through the barricade without forwarding ports.

I followed to and upgraded
to V1.03 for my 7004vbr, still no luck connecting Nortel VPN Client.

My previous linksys router worked fine.

Same problem here, Using Nortel Extranet client behind an vbr7400 and it does not work. Works perfectly fine with a SMB barricade abr7400

Whats up,

Normally 1723 is for pptp, now the crazy Nortel EAC client is ipsec, which is lots different. It uses protocal 50 and 51 (esp and ah) and udp 500 both the destination and source. If these are open, the SA cant be made and nothin comes up, your screwed. Hope this helps.

DAMN THE MAN

- Zarufa

Just FYI: Contivity 100 and the SMC Barricades (BR and ABR) dont like to work 100% well together over DSL. The Barricade will not NAT the IPSEC Traffic will and some of the Business Applications will not work right like MS Outlook using Exchange on the Contivity 100 (Setup in Aggressive Client Mode).

Just Another FYI: NAT Transversal enabled and Windows 95/98 NT Login using the 4.X EAC over a SMC Barricade also does not work well. The First NT Login Access will be denied. Just wait a few seconds and try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back