Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Extranet Access Client and cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

zom97

MIS
Feb 7, 2002
US
I'm installing the Nortel Access Client at home and am finding a few connection issues. I have a Dell PC, 1GHz, 256MG RAM machine running WIN ME. I use a cable modem via Time Warner (used to be Roadrunner) with an Intel AnyPoint wireless network to allow another PC in the house internet access. When I connect to my Nortel EAC icon, I lose my internet access and cable modem line although the EAC connection is workable. Shouldn't these all play together?
Appreciate any help.

I'm installing the Nortel Access Client at home and am finding a few connection issues. I have a Dell PC, 1GHz, 256MG RAM machine running WIN ME. I use a cable modem via Time Warner (used to be Roadrunner) with an Intel AnyPoint wireless network to allow another PC in the house internet access. When I connect to my Nortel EAC icon, I lose my internet access and cable modem line although the EAC connection is workable. Shouldn't these all play together?
Appreciate any help.

Just to clarify: you said "I lose my internet access and cable modem line although the EAC connection is workable".

When u say you lose your cable modem line are you implying that ur Nortel Client is connecting thru something other than the cable modem? ie. dialup?

Usually when you establish a VPN session u only have a tunnel back to the Host and all internet bound traffic must first go thru the tunnel and then out to the the other end.

So if there is no web access allowed from the far end you won't be able to surf the web while your vpn tunnel is up.

There's a way around this which is called "split tunneling". This allows you to conduct a vpn tunnel AND surf the web as a end-user. The prob. w/ split tunneling is that it's inherently insecure. It's possible for packets to come in from the web and "piggyback" out on your VPN connection. Split Tunneling can be locked down and dialed in to make it pretty secure tho'

I'd ask your vpn support folks about this

1> Do they allow web access from a vpn connection
2> Inquire about split tunneling and what there policy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back