Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel ERS2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevelinoSuriname

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
SR
Hi,
Is the ERS2500 series switch a real router? (L3 switch?).
I want to route traffic between 5 subnets and looking for the smallest Nortel router that would be able to do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply DaddyOfThree.
You mentioned IP Routing. Which entry or feature in the Q4 2007 feature list specifies that? I would like to figure out what entry level L3 switch from Nortel to select.

In the features area static routing is labled as "IP - Static / Default".

I believe only the ERS 5500 series currently offers static IP routing (and dynamic IP routing with OSPF if the advanced license is purchased). I know for a fact that IP routing is current not available on the ERS 4500 series but is slated to be released very soon. Actually I believe there was a thread here on it...

Have a look at the above thread where I hightlighted some of the upcoming features.

Cheers!

The ERS1600 series is still available from Nortel. I actually have about 5 of them in production although I'm replacing a few of them with ERS5530 (with Advanced License for OSPF routing).

Hopefully that URL will work for you but if it doesn't you can find it on Nortel's homepage by selecting Products -> Products -> All Products -> All Categories -> Ethernet & Metro Routing Switches.

There are pros and cons to either the ERS5500 and ERS1600. It really depends on the environment and what you trying to accomplish. I'm using the ERS1600 as an Ethernet to Ethernet router (Layer 3 switch). However, I'm replacing a few of the ERS1600s with ERS5530s in conjunction with a dark fiber MAN buildout. The ERS1600 is only 10/100 while the ERS5500 is 10/100/1000.

I would suggest the ERS5500 and just use static IP routing. If you want dynamic routing buy the Advanced License and enable OSPF.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back