Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Encryption maxium speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

menace212

Programmer
Jul 11, 2003
US
I have an OC-12(155mbps) pipe coming from an MPLS cloud into a CE router. What I need to know, what is the maximum speed for 1700 Nortel encryptor or do I need to another encryptor to balance the load. Or is there a Nortel encryptor that can handle an OC-12 pipe?

The Nortel VPN Router 1700 (formerly the COntivity 1700) supports the following encrypted throughput rates:

3DES= 115Mbps
AES= 75Mbps

So to be frank, if you truly have a FULL OC12 pipe (are you sure the actual data throughput is that high?), then you will have a some lag time at 3DES.

If you want FULL 3DES throughput for this line, you would need to move to the 5000 which offers 200Mbps of encyrpted throughput.

I hope this is helpful.

-HH

thanks..The OC12 will be handled through cisco 7304 router and then there will be gig ethernet drop off to the Nortel.. So I can assume the nortel 5000 will handle a max of 200mpbs of traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back