Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel CS1000 with Octel VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooga14

Technical User
Mar 11, 2014
US
I am new to Octel system and Nortel and want to know if there is any way to create a vm box which can then handle a transfer to 96 patient rooms. We have a new building and the numbering of new patient rooms are 5th fl - 5101 - 5132; 6th Fl - 6101 - 6132 and 7th fl - 7101 - 7132 but those DIDs are not available so I want to find a solution that can let people call in to a DID which can give them option to transfer to these rooms. If not by Octel then maybe going to non DID 5 digit numbers, I do have 1000 range which is set for Spree codes currently if that can be used. Tried getting another block of DIDs from telco but nothing available. Any suggestions are truly appreciated.

What type of Octel system do you have? The answer depends on the system type, as it can be different for the different octel systems.

You can use the type 32 mailbox to answer the call and then have them dial the room number. Then it will transfer to that ext number.

There are different ways to do this but that may work out best for now.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

KenMeans.....I think I read about this but it won't support 96 extensions, I think only 12-16 exts.

No i will support as many as you have in the system. it is not a menu where you press 1 for this and 2 for that you dial the 4 digit number and it transfers it to that number or what is set as the extension for that number

Ken Means

OK. the numbering of new patient rooms are 5th fl - 5101 - 5132; 6th Fl - 6101 - 6132 and 7th fl - 7101 - 7132 but those corresponding DIDs are not available, how can I make these rooms #s non DID 5 digits extenions. For example making it 15101-15132; 16101-16132;17101-17132 on Analog patient phones. I have 1000 range as Spree codes but nobody uses them so we can delete them. Thanks.

I may be missing something but why can't you use 5101?

Call in and get menu

Menu tells the caller to dial the room number they want

They dial 5101 the octel transfers the call to 5101.

You could make then dial a different number but you might need to add an entry in to the octel for every room at that point.
If you cant make it work let me know and we can.

Ken Means

We have numbering plan of DIDs 2000-8999, but 5000-7999 are already in use by other depts. So I need to create TNs for each rooms with Analog phones with different extensions. So I was thinking of using Non-DID extensions (5 digits) on these phones in these patient rooms that will correspond with the room number..that is what they are looking for me to do. I figure the Octel can tell them to Add a 1 + room # to reach their party.

I assume the Octel is set for 4 digits? And if that is the case then what will the real station number be in room 5101 ?

I am not that up on Nortel but can you have mixed digit lengths in it ?

The Octel is set for one length and that is it. You may be able to setup a type 34 but that still does not address the issue of more than 4 digits.

The Octel will not let you add a mailbox or set an ext number to anything more or less than the system is set for.

Anything that is done to make this work will affect the other users unless the Octel is not used for menus now.

If that is the case then it can be modified in the transfer sequence to accommodate this.

Ken Means

Nortel can have mixed length, usually used 4 digit DID primary and 5 or 6 digit rollover non did. I would make Room 5101 as Non-DID 15101. Can you explain the last statement..."If that is the case then it can be modified in the transfer sequence to accommodate this" What do you mean by that and how is transfer modified? Thanks.

The Octel can only transfer to 4 digits under normal conditions but if you are already using menus to transfer to 4 digit numbers it cant be changed.

You could run the mailbox renumbering utility and change the system from 4 to 5 and that would fix you issue.

Or you can enter mailbox 10000 with an alias of 11000 and have it transfer to what ever number you need in transfer to field.

Menu 6 is where you can change the transfer seq to sat flash 1 and it will add the 1 to the dialed number to go to ext 1xxxx

Ken Means

You should be able to dial a 5 digit extension from a type 32. Only the mailbox number would be limited to 4 digits. You would need to create a 4 digit mailbox, then either use a 5 digit alias, and/or a 5 digit extension number. There is also a system setting "Verify Extension Number" or something that you might have to set to "n" if not, the system might not allow dialing to an extension that does not match a mailbox number.

If you set the transfer sequence to "flash 1" That will put a 1 in front of every number that the Octel transfers too. Not sure if that would work for you if you also need to transfer to a 4 digit extension.

KenMeans...Thanks for your input, I did try a Menu 32 but it would not work with 5 digit extensions and reading what kxboy wrote..I did not set the transfer sequence to "flash 1", because he mentioned it would change and add 1 to every extension.
We are changing the Spre codes from 1 to 19 then using the 1+xxx where xxx is floor and rm # ex...1501. We will setup mailboxes for 5101-5132 etc.. because luckily none of the room numbers(DNs) I wanted to use don't currently have mailboxes
Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back