Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Contivity VPN/D-Link DI-824VUP - "Checking for Banner Text"

Status
Not open for further replies.

horizonjob

Programmer
Feb 7, 2006
US
I discovered some valuable pages deep within D-Link's site for configuring a DI-824VUP wireless router to connect to a Nortel Contivity VPN Client...specifically when you are stopped dead by that very frustrating message "Checking for Banner Text" while attempting to connect. (This problem is largely dealt with in thread463-415952 but doesn't mention D-Link's DI-824VUP wireless router nor the importance of turning off Zone Alarm.)

Go to this D-Link URL for instructions on configuring the DI-824VUP for connections with Nortel Contivity VPN Client:

*** THEN ***

Go to this URL for further instructions NOT given in the above URL:

Once there, on the right side of the page under "Click here for frequently asked questions", click + next to "VPN Support", click + next to "Software Client behind Router", then click on "Nortel Contivity". There you will see an important step not mentioned anywhere else in D-Link's support pages: "Disable all Firewall Software (ZoneAlarm, Windows XP Firewall, etc.)"

After many DAYS of struggling to get my new DI-824VUP to connect to my VPN at work, all it finally took was a single click to disable Zone Alarm and "VOILA!", I got through.

Other D-Link wireless router models attempting to *dance* with Nortel Contivity VPN Client may benefit from that last action as well.

Thanks for the post. I have been switching back and forth between a D-LInk and a Linksys Router on an as needed basis because my husband cannot connect to his VPN through the DLink. It's so frustrating.

I believe I have tried everything above, but maybe I missed completely diabling the firewall. I will try these steps tonight, and let you know if I had success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back