Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Contivity "obtaining Banner Text" issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaoboda

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
I am trying to connect on the company VPN and keep getting an "obtaining Banner Text" error using Nortel Contivity VPN client.

Anyone have any insight?

I just posted a problem that sounds like what you are experiencing with the same VPN client. After I enter my password and token, it looks like I am going to connect and then I get hung waiting for banner text. I just installed a DSL/Router/Firewall and when the Firewall security is set to high, I experience your problem. When the Firewall security is set to low, I can connect to my company network fine. I hope I get an answer soon as I have come to rely on my DSL connection to get work done while not at work.

Or you can look at my FAQ for Contivity:

faq595-4134

Cheers!

edemiere,

Thanks for the FAQ link. I have the hung at banner text problem which started when I installed a new DSL modem/firewall/router/wireless/4-port unit (Westell Model). The instructions are pretty weak and web search has not uncovered how to enable udp500 traffic as your FAQ indicates. Am I going to have to command line edit the "drop / pass" rules to make this happen?

I finally tracked down what I needed and paid attention to the firewall log. With the Westell firewall set to medium security, I enabled IPSEC ESP (Protocol 50) and IPSEC IKE (UDP 500) traffic. Even after this, I was getting firewall log entries once a second from the IP address of the computer trying to connect via VPN. This computer was trying to do UDP from Source port 1179 to destination port 4500 and the firewall was dropping the traffic. After I added a user configured service to accomplish this, I am in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back