Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Command Set Change? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgatt62

Technical User
Aug 23, 2010
GB
A customer has recently taken receipt of two new Nortel 5530-24tfd switches for back-up purposes and is having difficulty copying the running config of the live switch onto the new switches. The older original switch is firmware version 4.2.0.12 Software version v4.2.0.002 and the new switches are firmware version v6.0.0.6 software version v6.1.0.006.
I do not have any Nortel knowledge at all and usually only work on Cisco kit but can't imagiune that a change in firmware/softrware would cause such a reaction to loading a config that works on one switch onto another of the same vendor.
Is there any difference in the new switch command set? Can someone show me the method I should use to carry out this task?
Cheers etc pgatt62

To load a backed up config to a new switch, it has to be exactly the same hardware and software level. Any differences and the config will not load.

The only way you could do it would be to upgrade the old switches to version 6 software and then copy the config. To do this i belive would require a stepped upgrade as i don't think you would go from 4 to 6. Check the release notes to confirm upgrade path.

Cheers Andy
Is this not a bit OTT.
The reason for saying this is I'm struggling to get access to the Nortel site for an upgrade. It seems there was no support taken out ?????
What about a downgrade if I connect them into the stack?
Regards
Pat

I've just had a thought, it might be possible to do it via an ASCII config file.

Open Device Manager FileSystem screen by selecting Edit, File
System from Device Manager menu, then select the Ascii Con?g File tab.

The ASCII save stores the config in a text command format. It should then be possible to paste the commands into the new switch.

Most commands should work, though there may be some that fail due to differences in command format due to the differences in software levels.

The ASCII files are the way I've done it in the past. The non-ASCII files are huge and unreadable, so they are hard to use and you can't cross-check what's going on when you load them.
Speaking with Nortel support once I was given the impression they don't rate the non-ASCII files much.

Can't remember any gotchas, but as you say, if any commands don't take you will see it on the screen in front of you and be able to fix it.

Thanks to all who helped, I relayed your advice to the customer and all appears to be well.
Cheers Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back