Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel BCM50 - active incoming phone number management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyra.Johnson

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2020
US
We are moving from our old Nortel phone system to an IP based phone system- at the same time as rewiring our entire warehouse.

Currently, I have set our phone numbers to forward in the BCM to temporary numbers so we can use our new phone system. The cabling crew is wanting to remove all the old wiring throughout the building, including the old phone lines.
When you unplug the old phones - it cancels the Nortel forwarding settings to the new system. (the new phone system has the same auto attendant for all incoming calls, no matter what phone number is dialed externally)

my thought is to set/program all active lines in the old BCM to one phoneline/extension, so we only have to keep one of the old phones plugged in for the next 2 weeks until we roll over the main numbers to the new system. this would allow us to plug up the one active (old) phone right next to the switch, remove all old wiring, and still have the BCM forwarded to the new IP phones.

Can someone advise me on this? or have a better idea on the best way to make this happen?

(to re-iterate: We are in-between 2 phone systems (Nortem BCM and Fortinet IP phones), we are trying to remove all the old phone cabling from the building. BCM is currently set to fwd lines to a temporary phone number to ring the Fortinet. How can i make it possible to keep the BCM up and running for 2 weeks with only having 1 (or a few) old phones plugged in at the switch

You first option should have been to purchase Nortel/Avaya IP phones since the BCM does both digital and voip/ip, it also does voip/SIP lines from carriers.

If you have the forward option from your carrier then press line 1, press *72 then dial the number to forward too.
If you get a fast busy after doing *72 then you do not have that feature, ask the carrier for it.
*73 to cancel forward.

Why does the cable need replacing? you can intercept an IP phone between the PC and the wall jack.

Did you consult with your current vendor that handles the BCM?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks for the reply!
We wanted to get away from the BCM as we are not happy with it.
we have to rewire the warehouse because it was done 20 years ago by a "wanna be" IT guy, then we had a break-in and they cut a huge bundle of wires in January and they all had to be spliced together, and we needed better cabling. Now that we are moving to IP phones, we no longer need the phone line jacks, etc.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back