Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Bay 450 swiches work with Cisco 4506 core??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryrae

MIS
Aug 31, 2004
US
I have old Nortel Bay 450 field switches that have 100MB fibers runs back to our core switch and Acclar 1200. We are going to be replacing the Bay 450s and the Accelar in the near future with a Cisco 4506 core switch that will support 1GB fiber runs. Will the Bay 450 switches work on the Cisco 4506 since the Bay 450 switches only operate at 100MB fiber and the Cisco 4506 is 1GB? We will be replacing the Bay 450s with the Cisco 2960s, which operate at 1GB fiber, but in the meantime will the Bay switches work?? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ryan A+, Network+, MCP.

If you can put 100MB modules in the 4506 it'll work. I think though that the Cisco cards are 1000MB only.

Might need to forklift it all at once, or run the Accelar in parallel with the 4506 until you convert things over.

This page suggests that you can get 100FX modules, and of course you could get copper to fiber converters or some other temporary solutions but in either case you'd be spending extra money to glue your old and new systems together.

Of course I'm sure there are a hundred details specific to your network; but as biv343 suggests unless you can run the Accelar in parallel I'd say there is an end-to-end upgrade in your future. :)

Why not get 450-1SX or 450-1LX modules for the 450 and swap out the 450-2FX/4FX modules? This will allow you to connect at Gig speeds. These are not expensive any longer.

I hope this helps.
-HH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back