Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel ATA-2 hang up / disconnect tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin_name

Programmer
Jul 29, 2020
US
Thanks for helping. I have a Nortel ICS CICS 7.1. It is configured with two ATA-2 which are connected to a Dialogic voice card in a computer running an IVR program. This was set up a few years ago and had been operating great until a power surge damaged one of the ATA-2’s. I had a spare ATA-2 and installed it and the system mostly operates correctly. The issue is that the new replacement ATA-2 does not play a disconnect tone “D” to the Dialogic voice card when a caller hangs up, instead it plays the busy tone continually. This causes the IVR system to wait 2 minutes before disconnecting. The ICS correctly recognizes when the caller hangs up and disconnects the outside line. The IVR program and the Dialogic voice card are configured to end the IVR call only when the tone “D” is received. I used a phone and listened to the ATA-2’s when a call hangs up, the old (but still good) ATA-2 plays one “D” tone, the new replacement ATA-2 plays the busy tone. I changed the lines connecting the ATA’s to the ICS (IE swapped them around) and the replacement ATA-2 continued to play the busy tone. This leads me to believe that there is a programing function in the ATA-2 itself that needs to be set. I have been up able to find out how to program this. I tried programing the ATA-2 using the Nortel interface on a Nortel phone but was unable to find any setting in the ATA that would enable this “D” tone. I tried copying the settings in “Terminals&Sets” from the old but good ATA-2 to the new replacement ATA-2. The following forum post lists the ATA codes. The *809 Tones On and #809 Tones Off looked promising, however after repeated attempts neither code made a difference. However the ATA-2 did not seem to accept the codes, I would pick up the phone, press “flash” + * + 8 + 0 then the dial tone would return before I could enter 9. I tried entering the numbers really fast and same result. Perhaps there is a setting I am missing somewhere? Perhaps my new replacement ATA-2 has limited functionality? Any ideas, I know this is down a deep rabbit hole in the distant past. Thank you.

I think you may find that the old "ATA", were in fact Voice Mail Interfaces (VMI's). Nortel made these for just the purpose of interfacing with 3rd party analog voice mail systems.

Part Number: NT8B89DA

Marv ccna

Hello Marv thank you for the reply.

I did the initial install myself a few years ago. I thought I remembered installing ATA-2's but it is possible that I installed VMI's instead. I will have to go to the client and check on this later this week. I did have this VMI PDF in my old documentation, but I have a lot of junk in that documentation... If I do have the VMI's, I don't see how to change the disconnect tone from "busy tone" to the "D" tone. I see in the PDF 4.1 DISCONNECT TYPE it should be "D" but it is not. I will go and verify what the exact equipment I have is. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back