Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 8600 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshyrob

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
GB
Hello

Can anyone tell me how to setup the user permissions on the Passport 8600. I have a requirement to setup some accounts that have no rights to change anything but have read access, i know nothing about the passports. I have an admin account that was setup by another guy who has since left.

Hope someone can help

Rob

There are several accounts on the system that have limited accessthis will get you started:
config cli password ?

Its probably worth visitig Nortel's web site and looking under Support/Training/Technical Documentation
Browse through the products to find the Passport 8600
and then look for a document titled Configuring and Managing Security

Its got all sorts of information on setting up access security on the 8600 platform.

Thanks Anthony

ill take a look at the documentation. Do you know what access level i need to set to be able to backup configs? I dont want to give top level for people just backing up configs and FTP'ing them off.

Thanks

Rob

If you want the entire config backed up you'll need the top level access to do so. If you access with anything else then the config you backup contains only config settings that that access level can access / see.

Could you create a script to backup the configuration then lock down access to the script? In some ways its more risky having the password exposed inside a script (unless you use something like Cyber-Ark), but if you could manage security around that file you'd have the added benefit of automation.

Yeah i think its the script route we will go!

Thanks

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back