Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 5520 switch stack issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billycee

Technical User
Dec 26, 2020
GB
Hi guys, hope you all had a Merry Christmas

Hope someone can help me.

I have a problem with a 3 switch stack - switches are Nortel 5520. Stack IP is 10.0.42.1.

The WAN provider has a primary/secondary router. Primary is 10.0.42.251, connected to switch 1 port 41, secondary is 10.0.42.252, connected to switch 2 port 42. VRRP is 10.0.42.250.

I discovered this morning switch 1 was down, and was unable to ping the stack IP until the WAN provider disabled the interface of their primary circuit. Once they did this, I got access to the switch.

I then decided to reboot the stack - mistake! It came back up, but only has a single switch. After the reboot, I lost switch 3 too :-(

All that's left now is a single switch, WAN connected to port 42 as above. Looking at the IP configuration, I've spotted something that doesn't seem right:

=========================================================================
! *** IP ***
!
ip default-gateway 10.42.0.1
ip address stack 10.42.0.1
ip address netmask 255.255.255.0
ip address source configured-address
!
=========================================================================

The gateway should be the VRRP of the WAN circuit shouldn't it? To have the gateway as itself seems odd to me.

Also, is there anything I can try to restore the stack remotely? I'm wary of making changes remotely as I'm over 100 miles from this location and only have the one switch to play with now.

Do the other switches show when you "show stack"? Anything in the logs, or on you syslog server, or SNMP monitoring system?

Yeah, the default gateway should definitely be something else.

Sounds like you need to get hands on site to find out what is happing with those two other switches.

iIt has been a long time since I worked on the 5500 series, but the 4500s I have at a few sites have a CLI option to Force stack mode when the Base switch fails. This will make the remaining stack keep using it's Stack IP, instead of reverting to the stand-alone Switch IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back