Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 5510 connecting to Cisco 3560

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlange23

Technical User
Jan 20, 2005
US
I have a Nortel 5510 switch trying to connect to Cisco 3560 poe switch. I get an amber link and no green link light. Cisco side errors and says duplex mismatch. I have changed settings on both nortel and cisco a number of times with no avail.. I have searched this topic with very little help. I know this is done all the time. I even tried setting it up as a isl trunking. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Sorry forgot to mention that. I am connecting ethernet port to port.

I've run into strange issues connecting Nortel 55XX switches to certain Cisco routers when the speed/duplex is forced on the Cisco end. Putting them to auto negotiate always works for me. I've never tried to connect a Nortel switch to a Cisco switch though. I'm not very Cisco literate, but if you're running auto negotiate and it still won't link, try disabling the gigabit autonegotiation advertisements on the Nortel switch. This assumes that the 3560 is 10/100 only. If you're not using a crossover cable, you could try that as well. I've had to use crossover cables to Cisco routers in the past, even though the Nortel switch is MDI/MDX compatible.

I've connected Cisco/Nortel before and don't recall it being any different from connecting any other two switches.
As the above poster says - put both sides at auto/auto first.
Check your cable - if they are negotiating 1000 and the cable is crap it will fail *after* establishing a link and negotiating the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back