Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 3x8 with CP100, used to work, no longer does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tele-tech

Technical User
Apr 21, 2021
CA
Hi there,

Have a customer with a 3x8 v5.1 and a CP100 with old software that may have been spoofed. Install that we inherited. The CP100 used to work with this 3x8, but for whatever reason decided that it doesn't want to talk anymore. Tried switching power supplies, ports on the 3x8, electrical outlets, mod cords, etc. Brought it to our shop, hooked it up to a CICS, no issues. Hooked it up to another 3x8, also v5.1, this also connects with no issue.

Any reason why their existing 3x8 would no longer talk to the cp100? Is the CP100 not technically treated as a digital extension as far as the system is concerned?

I would have to assume if the CP works on other systems then some wiring on site maybe faulty.

Did you check that the 2 mod cords when unplugged from the CP will also work on a phone? or at least light up your toner?

On the other end of the CP mod cords at the KSU block, are the mod cords stripped and punched (is it BIX or 66 type?) or terminated properly to a jack then cross-connected to the block?
Lazy or amateur techs "strip and punch" and eventually will cause issues, even years later.

What is the LED light sequence when booting up?

Please follow up on your post's with a resolution or fix.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hey there,

Wiring is: amphenol from 3x8 goes to BIX, then to stations. I did not try and connect a phone, however I did try and use an existing working port that had a phone connected and no luck.

The mod cords I crimped, using jumper wire and RJ11 ends, going straight from the BIX directly into the CP100. I did not test with a toner, but again I tried using existing ports, but maybe I'm wrong for assuming they work.

LED sequence was on boot up, left hand side A+B flash as normal, then go off, then both light up solid and stays there. No connection light on the middle right hand side of the three there.

Just a head scratcher.

going straight from the BIX directly into the CP100"

The BIX is designed for solid wire, not stranded.
The BIX connector has blades like the 66 in the U.S. except that they are smaller, thinner and SHARPER!
So when you punch the green and read wires to the BIX it is actually cutting some strands inside and can cause a bad or no connection over time.
The more you move around local jumpers or poking around, the deeper the dagger goes!
If you have no jacks handy then it is better to at least crimp a mod end to cross-connect instead, that I have done on occasion.

-Try those mod cords with a phone
-Also make sure the AMP is press in and straight in case it is pulling away on an angle loosing several connections to one end or the other.
-Listen in with a test set for that faint digital signal too.

This is where "Maintenance" comes in handy but the 3X8 does not have that if I recall?

Outta Ammo!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

It sounds like the 3x8 has a corrupt bit in it, I would do a startup and reprogram, it's a 3x8, should take about ten minutes to reprogram and hopefully it will then connect to the cp. I think I had a cics do this to me once many moons ago.

curlycord said:
The BIX is designed for solid wire, not stranded.

Thanks for the reply again. I may not have been clear there, I used traditional jumper wire, not stranded wire. I agree with you 100% there, never use stranded on BIX. It's a white-blue twisted pair of solid jumper wire, crimped onto RJ11 mod ends. Those go directly from the ports on the 3x8 to the RJ11 ports on the CP100, I wanted to eliminate any hardware issues in between with the existing install.

We'll check and see if a phone comes up on those ports on our next site visit. I don't believe the 3x8 has the Maintenance menu on it.

@phoneguy427

Thanks for the reply, we'll try to wipe it and start fresh. They only have 5 phones, so like you say it won't be too hard to reprogram it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back