Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 2004 tftp server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Firebird

I am using it to see if i can try to get the 2004 phone to download the SIP firmware I have that was for the MCS 5100

As far as I know, there was no SIP firmware for the i2000 series phones as they don't have enough memory. Only the 1100 series phones support SIP.

If I recall correctly, there were different versions for the I20xx phones such as phase 1 or 2 etc.

I have found this old record relating to the Option xx range that might explain the differences in greater detail.

The IP Phone 200x Phase II Series adds enhancements including integrated support for power over Ethernet and full VLAN capability, support for improved call quality reporting, and increased security capabilities.

Changes from the Phase I series are hardware and phone-firmware based.

IP Phone 2002
The IP Phone 2002 was introduced with Phase 1
To distinguish between Phase 1 and Phase II IP Phone 2002 sets:
1. NT codes beginning with NTDU76xxxx are Phase 1 sets
2. Phase II IP Phone 2002 sets have NT codes with NTDU91xxxx

IP Phone 2004.
The IP Phone 2004 was introduced with Phase 0. Thus, customers could have Phase 0, Phase 1 or Phase II 2004 sets.
1. Phase 0 2004 IP Phone is identifiable as it has only one Ethernet jack
2.. Product Codes
a). NT codes beginning with NTEX00 or NT7B10AACH are Phase 0 sets.
b). NT codes beginning with NTDU82xx are Phase 1 2004 sets
c). Phase II IP Phone 2004’s have NT codes with NTDU92xxxx

Although Phase II sets (2004 and 2002) look like Phase I sets, they can be identified by the product codes on the label on the back of the set:

PEC CPC Product Description

IP Phone 2001
NTDU90AA16 A0533387 IP Phone 2001 (Ethergray) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU90BA16 A0533388 IP Phone 2001 (Ethergray) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply
NTDU90AA70 A0533389 IP Phone 2001 (Charcoal) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU90BA70 A0533390 IP Phone 2001 (Charcoal) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply

IP Phone 2002
NTDU91AA16 A0533404 IP Phone 2002 (Ethergray) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU91BA16 A0533405 IP Phone 2002 (Ethergray) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply
NTDU91AA70 A0533406 IP Phone 2002 (Charcoal) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU91BA70 A0533407 IP Phone 2002 (Charcoal) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply

IP Phone 2004
NTDU92AA16 A0533408 IP Phone 2004 (Ethergray) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU92BA16 A0533409 IP Phone 2004 (Ethergray) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply
NTDU92AA70 A0533410 IP Phone 2004 (Charcoal) with Icon keycaps, without power supply
NTDU92BA70 A0533411 IP Phone 2004 (Charcoal) with English Text label keycaps, without
power supply

NOTE: Phase I IP sets cannot be upgraded to be Phase 2 sets due to the hardware enhancements in Phase 2 sets. Phase I IP sets will continue to be supported in the future, and can co-exist in mixed environments with Phase II sets.

Compatibility

1. Succession 1000 / 1000M / Meridian 1 on Succession 3.0 :

Succession 3.0 (minimum release)
· Signalling Server 2.10.81
· IP Line Application 3.10.81

2. Meridian 1 and X11 Release 25.40/ 25.40B
· The IP Line Loadware application for Meridian 1 25.40/ 25.40B must be upgraded.

· IP Line Application 3.05.2

This Loadware and the corresponding ReadMe First document may be downloaded from the Nortel Networks software download web site.

3. IP Phone firmware
· It is necessary to ensure the latest version of IP Phone firmware is downloaded and installed on the Phase II IP Phones.

· IP Phone firmware 0604D31 or later for rls 3
IP Phone firmware 0604D49 for rls 4

One of the key attributes of the new IP Phone 200x Phase 2 portfolio (2001, 2002, 2004) is
the integration of PoE powering within the set, eliminating the need for a PoE splitter. The
Phase 2 IP phones support a number of power over Ethernet options, including the standard
IEEE 802.3af powering, and some proprietary powering methods. The Phase 2 IP Phones
will continue to support the legacy pre-standard powering approach supported in the 200x
Phase 0/1 IP Phones.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I have done a search in an old folder I have on the MCS 5100 and I have found the attached file that is in an ISO format. I have no idea if it is of any help.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Thanks guys

yes that is the firmware I have also. I am just not sure if it can be flashed to the 2000 series Ip phone without MCS 5100 which is what I had hoped I could achieve with it.

I ahve also noticed that within Rls 6 of BCM50 there is a facility to upload files and images for the IP Phones. I have yet to do some reading around it but does that mean that the phones could be flashed with this firmware or is it only firmware contained within the patches that can be used

Also what is the directory within the folder structure where the firmware is stored in BCM50. Could files be placed in it and sent to the phone perhaps

Cheers

On all BCM systems running Linux, it's possible to upload different firmware files. I have played with this but it's of little benefit and you would be better off leaving it with a version that works.

We don't really discuss the indepth structure of the BCM folders on this forum.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Can it be discussed off forum perhaps?

my aim would be to upload the SIP based MCS 5100 firmware and flash the 2004 with it. However in saying that from reading the MCS guide on converting the 2004 from unitsim to SIP it possibly appears that not all the files are in the link attached and some might only be in the folder of the actual MCS itself

Ok so managed to find the folder whee firmware is for BCM50 but as I say it looks like that the main sip fw for 2004 was IN the MCS 5100 itself so certainly defeats that purpose

does that mean that the phones could be flashed with this firmware or is it only firmware contained within the patches that can be used"
The BCM does not support SIP sets, newer Unistim firmware works but there seems to be no advantage, the ones in the patches are supported is all.

Why are you not using a TFTP server such as Pumkin or alike?
Edit- I just read where it says it needs a BCM or CS1000, MCS 5100 was not mentioned but will presume it should be included.

Which "phase" version of the 2004 do you have?
Courtesy exsmogger:
NTEX = phase 0
NTDU8x = phase 1
NTDU9x = phase 2

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The BCM does not support sip sets" - obviously this feature is unofficial and therefore not openly discussed greatly on the public forum.

"Why are you not using a tftp server such as pumpkin or the likes"
The 2004 range of phones as you will be aware does not openly download it's firmware from an open tftp server and instead uses UFTP which normally sits within one of the call servers.

What is my aim? Well my aim is to convert the 2004 phone from Unistim to sip. There was an MCS 5100 associated sip firmware that could be used to flash these phones to sip. However I am getting the sense that some of the files or firmware needed sit in a folder within MCS 5100 therefore may make the process a bit tricky. These version of phones appear to be the NTDU9 range

Here is a forum although now closed that did discuss this topic in the past

MrConfused post was my thought when I mentioned Pumkin TFTP server.

It appears you have the Phase 2 set then which supports SIP, therefore I will guess a Solarwinds or Pumkin (TFTP) server should work.
"does not openly download it's firmware from an open tftp server and instead uses UFTP which normally sits within one of the call servers."
I am thinking that applies to Phase's 0, 1 or 2.

Does not hurt to try it.
My only 2 X 2004's will not boot up period so I cannot test.

Edit: see this pdf

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

thanks curly, i have tried this again to no avail. I thought that the 2004 TFTP tool that UCXGUY linked me to might help. The problem as I said previous is because the 2004 range while in Unistim mode only updates via a call server with UFTP. Once its converted to SIP it can then openly connect to TFTP. This is what the part within the document talks about when it says prepare the IPCM element of the MCS 5100. The 11 and 12 series were different and could be changed from unistim via a TFTP. I could be wrong but only my intrepretion based on what I am reading.

Anyway its not really important and was just something I wanted to try

One other question - Unistim 0604DAS for 2000 range, was there ever a problem with them not connecting via dhcp to a server and saying DHCP server unreachable.

cheers

The 0604DAS firmware is from Feb 2007. There were many releases (and bug fixes) between this version and the latest version of the firwmare for the i2000 series phones. My recommendation is to update to the latest version - if I am not mistaken, it is 0604DCO (from Jan 2011).

Thanks UCXGUY yes this was downloaded from a R2 BCM50 hence it being much older. So when the phone after booting with that firmware sticks at DHCP server unreachable and having alos tried manual connection with DHCP set to 0 is there any other work around. 2000 range cannot be reset either like the 11 or 12 range. cheers

If you set the IP address of the phone manually to a static IP address, it should not get stuck with "DHCP server unreachable".

yes already tried that, perhaps the phone didn't take fully to the firmware, it boots up and goes through the process then times out after dhcp unreachable or if i turn dhcp off with static ip it doesn't connect with the server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back